Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is kicking off the 2014/15 Student Success Opportunity Schools (SSOS) initiative. The Student Success Opportunity Schools initiative is a District-wide initiative to improve the educational programs at identified schools through robust collaboration, conversations and feedback from parents, students and community members.
Since the Student Success Opportunity Schools initiative started in 2012, several innovative and bold approaches have been implemented to improve and provide additional educational opportunities for BCPS students. Some of the changes, include, but are not limited to:
· Sunland Park Academy: transitioned to an early learning center focused on Pre-K through grade 3;
· Dillard High School and Lauderhill 6-12: expanded options to offer a continuum of innovative learning options from grade 6 through grade 12;
· Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School: added a Montessori program for the 2014/15 school year;
· Coral Springs, North Lauderdale and Annabel C. Perry Elementary Schools: expanded options by adding grade 6, with plans to offer families the full pre-kindergarten through grade 8 experience;
· Pompano Beach Elementary School: implemented a focus on history curriculum to create stronger connections to the local, national and global community; and
· Atlantic Technical College: Arthur Ashe, Jr. Campus – repurposed the site of a middle school campus to increase options for adult learners seeking dynamic career and technical training opportunities.
The first set of September meetings and schedule is as follows:
School and community meetings with Lake Forest and Watkins Elementary Schools, Coconut Creek High School and the Hallandale Education Advisory Board will be scheduled and published soon. The updated schedule will be published on http://www.browardschools.com/BCPS-Spotlights/Student-Success-Opportunity-Schools
.To learn more about the Student Success Opportunities Schools initiative and to view the SSOS Final Report - June 2014, which includes all of the schools that were included in the 2013/14 SSOS initiative, please visit http://www.browardschools.com/BCPS-Spotlights/Student-Success-Opportunity-Schools
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth largest public school system in the United States and the second largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has over 260,000 students and approximately 175,000 adult students in 238 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 102 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population. Students are from 204 different countries and speak 135 different languages. For more information about BCPS, visit browardschools.com
, follow us on Twitter @Browardschools
, like us on Facebook @ facebook.com/browardschools
, and download the free Broward County Public Schools mobile app.