Our School Dress Code
School uniforms are MANDATORY. Click Here for more information about our uniforms.
Mirror Lake Elementary has a Unified Dress Code. The styles were selected so that parents could purchase the items in many stores. If you have a child in 4th or 5th grade, our colors do coincide with the Unified Dress Code at Plantation Middle School. Should your child outgrow his/her clothes that may still be in good condition, we would appreciate your donating them for other children who may be in need.
According to the School Board Policy 5309, you may request an exemption to our Unified Dress Code Policy under certain conditions. Since children began wearing uniforms, we have seen improved behavior and fewer distractions with clothing competitiveness. A few of the older students convince their parents to seek a waiver, when in fact they are the children who need to comply with rules the most. Please keep these things in mind when considering applying for a waiver. In order to request an exemption, please adhere to the following procedures:
- Applications are available at school and are to be completed annually should a parent/guardian wish to apply for his/her child(ren) to be exempt from the uniform program.
- This written request MUST be submitted to the principal within two weeks of enrollment.
- You will be given a date to meet the Principal and/or designee to discuss your request for exemption.
- The Principal and/or designee will notify you in writing within ten calendar days of the decision.
- The aforementioned procedures must be followed in order for exemption to be considered.
Should the exemption be granted, the dress code in the Elementary Code of Student Conduct must be followed. All students should be dressed and groomed in an appropriate manner that does not interfere with, distract from, or disrupt the educational process. Clothing should be suitable, comfortable, and safe for normal school activities and show personal and school pride. Children must wear a complete uniform to go on field trips unless a waiver has been granted within the 10 days of enrollment.
Benefits of a Uniform Policy
Research suggests that school uniforms:
- Improve discipline, self-esteem and self-respect
- Focus the student towards learning
- Eliminate the fear of whether their clothing choice will be acceptable by peers
- Strengthens school pride
- Identify student population from strangers on school grounds
- Cost effective
All children should start wearing their school uniform on the very first day of school this August. Please call us at school if you have any questions or concerns.
A Parent or Guardian may request by mail, or in person, an application for an exemption from the uniform program. Exemption waivers must be completed by the 10th day of the student's enrollment.