PRE-COLLEGE CHECKLIST FOR FRESHMEN & SOPHOMORES
You will find something valuable here if you are a freshman or sophomore just starting to develop your own interests. The following represents a brief college preparedness outline and some tips for Hollywood Hills High School college bound freshmen and sophomores. For a more detailed calendar specific to Juniors, click Here. For a calendar specific to college bound Seniors, click Here.
It may seem like college is a long way off. It really isn't. Decide what you're looking for in a college and get started early!
- Find out about the different types of schools and decide which characteristics are most important to you.
- Consider what you'd like to do once you've finished college. What is your dream job? Think about career possibilities, explore different occupations, and give some serious consideration to planning your career.
- Most importantly, review your high school coursework and activities. Colleges will look for challenging coursework, a good grade point average, and extracurricular activities such as sports, volunteer work, and community involvement.
- Before setting on a course to college and career readiness, make sure you plan on enrolling in and succeeding in introductory college credit-bearing courses. Take the time to review the Pathways to College and Career Readiness Brochure Here.
- Study, register for, and take the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) in preparation for the standardized tests (either the SAT or ACT) which you'll need to take as a junior or senior. Plus, if you do particularly well on the PSAT, you may be eligible to receive a National Merit Scholarship. That's quite an honor, and it means money for college that you won't have to pay back!