School Advisory Council/ School Advisory Forum
School Advisory Council (SAC): The School Advisory Council shall be the sole body responsible for final decision-making at the school relating to implementation of ss.1001.42(18) and1008.345.U The SAC is composed of parents, teachers, community members, school administrators, non-instructional support staff, and other stakeholders who meet regularly to establish priorities, set annual objectives, and monitor action steps for school improvement.
How can parents get involved and participate in the Westglades Middle School SAC committee?
Parents are encouraged to attend the monthly meeting of the SAC committee at their child’s school.
SAC Meeting Dates for 2019-2020
**Meetings begin at 8:15am and will be followed up with SAF and PTO meetings on the same day**
Why is it important for parents to be active participants?
* The SAC committee provides a place where parents can voice their opinions and suggestions. They have an active role in making decisions that will best serve the students.
* SAC also gives the opportunity for parents to actively participate in setting goals and making plans to achieve those academic goals.
* SAC allows for parents to identify issues that need to be addressed concerning the school climate.
School Advisory Forum (SAF): School Board policy requires that each school have a School Advisory Forum (SAF) composed of parents, teachers, community members, school administrators, non-instructional support staff, and other stakeholders. The SAF provides an opportunity for stakeholders to discuss and recommend actions on a variety of school issues.
The School Advisory Forum (SAF) shall foster and promote communication between its stakeholders, the school, and the Area Advisory Council. The SAF shall bring forth recommendations, concerns and interests to and from their Area Advisory Council.
* Plan, develop, and implement parent/community programs and training activities.
* Address parent/community concerns; work with administration to solve problems and initiate desired changes.
* Identify and coordinates the use of community resources to improve student achievement and school effectiveness.
* Participate in increasing/sustaining high levels of community support for the school.
* Assist SAC in identifying the educational needs and priorities of the school.
* Participate in the preparation of the budget, and review budget related concerns.
* Advocated for positive change in the school.
* Remain current with school, district, state, and national issues.
* Jointly works with School Board Members, Superintendent, and local Government officials.
Facilities, Safety, Legislative, ESE, ESOL, Boundaries, Curriculum, Dress code, and Transportation are all issues addressed by SAF.
What can be accomplished if I participate in SAF?
Over the years, it has been parents, teachers, community members, etc. who have made positive changes in schools. These changes can be at the school level, district level, state level and within the community or city. From the school level, parents like you made the following changes:
* Instead of having social security number to identify children, the schools now use a new randomly generated number to prevent identify theft and other privacy issues.
* Defibrillators are now at every high school. A defibrillator is a machine used to shock the victim's heart and restore the heart's normal rythmic patterns. When a defibrillator is used, it in effect kicks the heart into action again, causing it to resume sending blood throughout the body. This was needed specifically due to incidents during athletic activities.