Dave Thomas Education Center West Campus
Dave Thomas Education Center’s Alternative High School is designed to meet the needs of "at risk" youth (ages 14-21). The Middle School Academy is also located on the West Campus. The West Campus offers a full-service cafeteria and media center. Bus transportation is available for students. There is no cost to attend the High School or Middle School Academy.
Alternative High School
This program is a full high school program, including electives that promote job training. The curriculum reflects the Florida Frameworks and Broward County Performance Standards. The delivery is competency-based/teacher directed, whereby credit is awarded upon demonstrated mastery of skills.
The students learn at their own pace, demonstrating responsibility for their own learning by earning credits or completing course work. Students can earn credits and then go back to a traditional secondary schools after "catching up" or to the post-secondary school system. Students can earn a Standard High School Diploma.
Alternative High School Goals
- Expand educational choices for students
- Create educational interests
- Offer a variety of graduation options
- Set high expectations for all students to improve student achievement
- Prepare the student for further education and the world of work
- Develop positive school climates with an emphasis on academic achievement
- Provide real-life and hands-on experiences
- Offer career counseling, training, and work experiences
- Offer mentorship, individualized assessment, and personal counseling