Science / Pre-Engineering
APPLICATIONS for 2017-2018 are open from DECEMBER 1 - FEBRUARY 8.To apply, you will need your child’s:
- BCPS Student Identification Number
- If your child is not a current BCPS student, visit any BCPS school to request a Student Identification Number for your child. Please bring a form of personal identification and your child’s birth certificate
- Additionally, Magnet Middle and High school applicants submit to the Demographics & Student Assignment Department
- a copy of the most recent report card
- a copy of FSA English Language Arts (ELA) and math scores**
**If FSA scores are not available, Magnet Middle and High school applicants must provide nationally recognized standardized test scores.
The online School Choice application is only supported in Google Chrome.Students must meet academic requirements for the Science/Pre-Engineering program:
- Proficiency (academic achievement) on Reading and Math standardized tests.
This advanced academic program is for students who might plan to continue their education in the fields of engineering, science, mathematics, architecture or technology.McNicol Middle School Science/Pre-Engineering courses are designed as a complement to a rigorous academic program. Students in the McNicol Middle School Magnet programs will engage in hands-on, project-based learning, that incorporates creativity, teamwork, and activities in our 21st century classrooms.Students in this program will take advanced science classes in grades 6, 7, and 8. Along with the science curriculum, students will be in advanced math, language arts, social studies, and reading.Our middle school students have 6 classes every day. Magnet Science Courses have been designed to enhance the learning experience by offering a hands-on, project-based curriculum including:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in core classes (Mathematics, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies)
- Engineering: (Paxton/Patterson Lab): State-of-the-art engineering lab with 12 different modules of engineering. Students experience hands-on engineering with rockets, CO2-charged cars, game design, civil & structural engineering, and more! Check out the video to see the kids in action.
- PhytoSTEMatics: An introduction to environmental and plant sciences. The courtyard at McNicol has been transformed into a Fruit Orchard that blooms in different sections throughout the school year, providing a variety of learning experiences for our students.
- Robotics: the foundation for this curriculum is based on FIRST Lego League and includes 3D-design & 3D-printing. Students will have an opportunity to earn a certificate in Programming Essentials in 8th grade.
REQUIREMENTSFor acceptance in the Science/Pre-Engineering Program, 5th grade students must have a score of 3 or higher in both their Reading and Mathematics (FSA) and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in core classes.To remain in the program:
- C.A.P.E.: (Career and Professional Education): students learn the Microsoft Suite and have the opportunity to complete a Microsoft Certification. Through three years of technology, students take a sequence of courses culminating in a HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT in technology and MOS Industry Certification.
- students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- students need to maintain a minimum of a “C” in their Magnet Theme Classes
Please contact our Magnet Coordinator, Mrs. Lohrer, for more information about applying for one of the programs.Magnet CoordinatorBernadette Kogut Lohrer
- students are expected to maintain positive behavior as outlined in the student code of conduct
Boundary Map (Click for larger view)
The boundary for this program extends from the Atlantic Ocean to the Everglades and south of Sunrise Boulevard down to County Line Road.
- BCPS Student Identification Number