The Mission of the School Counseling Department at Blanche Ely High School is to provide comprehensive school counseling services to all students within a positive supportive environment. Our programs are designed to help all students develop and enhance their academic, social/personal, and career abilities in order to become responsible and productive members of society. Counselors are committed to maintaining the individual uniqueness of each student and skillfully use strategic, timely, and personal interventions to maximize educational experiences, enhance the development the human potential, close achievement gaps among high and low performing groups, and support positive life choices.
The Counselors at Blanche Ely High School believe:
- All student is valuable and have dignity and worth.
- All students can achieve and be successful learners.
- All students can expect that school is a safe and nurturing environment.
- All students will have access to high quality school counseling services, provided by a full-time licensed, professional school counselor.
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial differences are considered in the design and delivery of school counseling services.
- The school counselors’ primary purpose is to advocate for the student.
- In applying the latest research-based interventions to fit individual student needs
- In abiding by ethical and moral standards as outlined by the American School Counselor
· In maintaining an awareness of their own social and cultural backgrounds and how their experiences influence their attitudes, values, and biases about psychological processes.· In the importance of how race, culture, physical and mental constitution, and other areas· of diversity affect personality formation and choices. PROGRAM GOALS for 2017-2018 School Year:
- Increase College and Career Readiness by 5% and the graduation rate by 2%.
- Increase the average ACT/SAT scores.
- Increase attendance and behavior (referral) rate by 5%.
- Use data to show the impact of the school counseling program on school improvement and student achievement.
WHAT DO SCHOOL COUNSELORS DO?
School counselors provide a preventative and proactive comprehensive counseling program that addresses the academic, personal/social, and career preparation/college planning needs of all students in alignment with the standards and competencies of the Florida Framework for School Counseling Programs and the American School Counseling Association. Our goal is to promote a commitment to life-long learning, social/personal, and academic growth and to assist students in becoming responsible, culturally aware, and productive members of society. Our mission and our goal are supported teachers, staff, administrators, parents, and the community to enhance student achievement. The comprehensive counseling program
- is available to all students to assist them with personal-social, educational, and career counseling needs,
- is an integral of the total educational process within the school and is critical to the academic, personal/social, and career development and progress of each student,
- helps to build a safe positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents, and the community to enhance student achievement,
- encourages supportive, positive parental involvement in the schools,
- is continuously refined and improved through systematic review and evaluation of student performance data.
School counselors provide career and educational counseling, including (but not limited to):
- helping students make informed academic and career choices; including career and college planning;
- using multiple student data sources and education/career placement services;
- individual and group counseling;
- crisis intervention and preventive counseling;
- student and family advocacy;
- educational consultations and collaborations with teachers, administrators, parents, and community leaders;
- school-wide programs (e.g., bullying, PASL); and
- conflict resolution and peer mediation.