Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process in which students and adults are able to recognize and manage emotions, solve problems effectively and establish positive relationships with others. SEL provides direct instruction in skills that enable students to succeed in college, career and life by being responsible citizens and decision makers.
Instruction in SEL enables students to see themselves and others in a positive light, manage emotions, set and achieve goals and solve problems they encounter effectively. It supports school cultures and climates to allow students to practice life skills throughout their school experience.
Why Social and Emotional Learning?
Broward County Public Schools strive to provide all students with a college and career ready education characterized by safe, caring and well-managed learning environments. Instruction in social and emotional skills will prepare them to be resilient and achieve individual success academically, interpersonally and throughout their lives. Social and Emotional Learning. Research says:
- Students involved in SEL programming experienced significantly greater academic achievement than students who do not receive SEL.
- SEL instilled greater motivation to learn, a deeper commitment to school, increased time devoted to schoolwork, better classroom behavior, and improved attendance and graduation rates.
- Among students receiving SEL instruction, disruptive class behavior, noncompliance, aggression, delinquent acts, and disciplinary referrals decreased significantly.
- Reports of student depression, anxiety, stress, or social withdrawal significantly decreased among students receiving SEL instruction.
Mission: Broward County Public Schools will build a comprehensive, coordinated, and systemic web of services by collaborating with schools, communities, and families to align resources so that students are academically successful and socially competent. Ensuring that every student develops the social and emotional competencies essential for lifelong success.
Vision: The district’s vision is to provide students with the Social and Emotional Learning Skills to become responsible citizens in society, to contribute value to themselves as well as their families and communities, and to enjoy productive and satisfying lives.
Adapted from Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
(Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print PDF)
SEL Parent Tool Kit
Broward County School Board Collaboration with CASEL
Broward County Public Schools SEL Initiative is supported by the Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL). This initiative is supporting us in our efforts to create a district-wide model for SEL standards and skills based on the five competencies. Self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
Our goal is to provide high quality, evidence-based programming to promote social emotional learning in preschool through 12th grade.
SEL Implementation and Training Resources(Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print PDF)Social and Emotional Learning Infographic
Leaps provides comprehensive lesson plans and interactive multi-modal assessment tools. Register for LEAPS
SEL Training-PBIS Training Resources
SEL Online Resources
- Collaborative for Academic, Social & Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Center on the Social & Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL)
- Evolution Labs – Suite360 and ISSO 360: These 2 curriculum resource banks for grades K-12 are aligned to social-emotional learning, character development and intervention and restorative justice digital resource toolkit. Schools can assign intervention modules based on behavioral incidents/topics to students. The modules include, quick assessments, lesson/content delivery through a variety of modalities, and journaling lessons. The program also measures student learning through short survey responses as students complete the modules.
- Cloud 9 World: A unique and innovative social and emotional learning program for students in grades K-5 that integrates literacy as the vehicle for teaching character strengths. The program is about the acquisition and strengthening of character, and the capacity to make wise choices for a well-rounded life and a thriving society.
- Health and Wellness Curriculum webpage
- Rethink Ed: Offers extensive social emotional learning (SEL) resources to students, staff and parents, including lessons, trainings, mental health supports, self-assessments and additional materials.