How can parents get involved and participate in the SAC committee?
Parents, students, faculty and community members are encouraged to attend the monthly meeting of the SAC committee at their child’s school.
If you would like to join our email list please complete the form at the link
Here are the meeting dates for the 2019-2020 school year:
Location: Guidance Area on the First Floor of Building 20
- Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday October 8, 2019 *Following the SAC meeting we will have a community meeting to discuss Exam Exemption Waiver and Professional Study Days Waiver
- Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 3:30 pm
Why is it important for parents to be active participants?
The SAC committee provides a place where parents can voice their opinions and suggestions. They have an active role in making decisions that will best serve the students. SAC also gives the opportunity for parents to actively participate in setting goals and making plans to achieve those academic goals. SAC allows for parents to identify issues that need to be addressed concerning the school climate.
What is SAF?
The School Advisory Forum (SAF) is open to all members of the school and community. The Forum has one member to report to the School Advisory Council, which then sends a representative to the district SAC. The district SAC acts as advisors, mentors, and advocates to both the district and to each school advisory council.
At a School Advisory Forum all present will:
- Plan, develop, and implement parent/community programs and training activities.
- Address parent/community concerns; work with administration to solve problems and initiate desired changes.
- Identify and coordinates the use of community resources to improve student achievement and school effectiveness.
- Participate in increasing/sustaining high levels of community support for the school.
- Assist SAC in identifying the educational needs and priorities of the school.
- Participate in the preparation of the budget, and review budget related concerns.
- Advocated for positive change in the school.
- Remain current with school, district, state, and national issues.
- Jointly works with School Board Members, Superintendent, and local Government officials. Facilities, Safety, Legislative, ESE, ESOL, Boundaries, Curriculum, Dress code, and Transportation are all issues addressed by SAF.
What can be accomplished if I participate in SAF?
Over the years, it has been parents, teachers, community members, etc. who have made positive changes in schools. These changes can be at the school level, district level, state level and within the community or city.