Understanding School Choice
Understanding School Choice
School-aged children living within Broward County are assigned to a school based on their primary address and grade level. This is the child's assigned school. We understand families want to have options for their child's education, which may include a choice other than their assigned school.
Parents may request for their child to attend a different school during a 2019/20 School Choice application window.
The next opportunity to submit a School Choice application begins is August 7 - August 27, 2019.
Parents and guardians who submitted an application during a School Choice application window for a magnet program, Nova school and/or school reassignment will be notified on scheduled selection dates, regarding the status of each application.
Notifications will be emailed and updated on the Check Your Status web page.
Your application status notification will have one of the following status descriptions:
- Awarded students may attend the requested school. To attend the school for the 2019/20 school year, parents must claim the awarded seat by the claim deadline and complete registration paperwork with the school by the registration deadline.
- Parents who did not claim an awarded seat by the claim deadline may request for their child to be placed into consideration for an available seat by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Students who have not been selected to attend the requested school : When there are more applications than available seats, a random computerized selection is used to award seats to students. Students who are not selected for a seat may be considered at a later date if seats become available.
- Incomplete magnet applications require the most recent report card and/or standardized test scores. Please submit your required documents to the Demographics & Student Assignments Department. Parents who submitted incomplete magnet applications will need to provide the required documents prior to the application deadline in order to be notified on the corresponding notification date. Supporting documents received after the application deadline will be considered late. Parents will be notified after the notification date regarding the status of a late application.
- Denied academic magnet applications did not meet the minimum academic requirements for the magnet program. If your child's grades and/or test scores improve and meet the minimum academic requirements for entry, please submit the updated documents to the Demographics & Student Assignments Department.
What are my other choices?There is no guarantee your child will be placed, however eligible applicants will continue to be considered if new seats become available until the tenth day of school. Parents may wait to be selected (there is no guarantee), select a new school/program or register the child at the assigned school.