School Advisory Council
School Improvement is an absolute priority for all Broward schools. To make it happen, every school has a school Advisory Council which studies the school's track record and comes up with an annual plan to improve education in vital areas such as: student achievement, curriculum, safety and discipline. These plans are on file at every school. Call us if you would like to be a part of this great team.
What is the SAC Committee?
The School Advisory Council (SAC) is a team of people representing various segments of the community–parents, teachers, students, administrators, support staff, business/ industry people and other interested community members.
What do they do?
SAC member gather to discuss the school’s academic plan and progress. They discuss the School Improvement Plan - a plan made of goals and objectives established for the school determined by needs. The purpose of the School Improvement Plan is to increase student performance. The SAC committee assists the school principal with budget and recommendation on how school monies are spent or allocated.
How can parents get involved and participate in the SAC committee?
Parents are encouraged to attend the monthly meeting of the SAC committee at their child’s school.
Why is it important for parents to be active participants?
- The SAC committee provides a place where parents can voice their opinions and suggestions. They have an active role in making decisions that will best serve the students.
- SAC also gives the opportunity for parents to actively participate in setting goals and making plans to achieve those academic goals.
- SAC allows for parents to identify issues that need to be addressed concerning the school climate.
School Advisory Forum (SAF)
Every school has an advisory forum which acts as a proactive group which addresses various educational issues. Their ideas and concerns are forwarded to both area and district advisories which meet regularly with key staff and the Superintendent. Advisories do outstanding work on behalf of kids. If you wish to join this group, call us for more information.
What is SAF?
The School Advisory Forum (SAF) is open to all members of the school and community. The Forum has one member to report to the School Advisory Council, which then sends a representative to the district SAC. The district SAC acts as advisors, mentors, and advocates to both the district and to each school advisory council. At a School Advisory Forum all present will:
- Plan, develop, and implement parent/community programs and training activities.
- Address parent/community concerns; work with administration to solve problems and initiate desired changes.
- Identify and coordinates the use of community resources to improve student achievement and school effectiveness.
- Participate in increasing/sustaining high levels of community support for the school.
- Assist SAC in identifying the educational needs and priorities of the school.
- Participate in the preparation of the budget, and review budget related concerns.
- Advocated for positive change in the school.
- Remain current with school, district, state, and national issues.
- Jointly works with School Board Members, Superintendent, and local Government officials.
- Facilities, Safety, Legislative, ESE, ESOL, Boundaries, Curriculum, Dress code, and Transportation are all issues addressed by SAF.
What can be accomplished if I participate in SAF?
Over the years, it has been parents, teachers, community members, etc. who have made positive changes in schools. These changes can be at the school level, district level, state level and within the community or city.