2019-2020 VPK Application Information
2019-2020 VPK/Enrichment Application Information
VPK Application Period II began February 26, 2019
NOTE: During Application Period II, parents do not need to make an appointment for BRIGANCE Screening. Students that are selected for enrollment will be screened during the first 60 days of school in the Fall. This will not affect your child’s ability to be selected for the program.
To apply for our VPK program for the 2019-2020 school year, please do the following:
*PLEASE COMPLETE ALL STEPS
Step 1. Apply for the VPK Certificate of Eligibility via the State’s online application (State of Florida - ELC Family Portal Website). Once you receive your certificate via email, return to our website and upload your signed 2019-2020 VPK Certificate of Eligibility.
Step 2. Complete the online VPK Pre-Application. *new applicants only
Step 3. Complete the document below:
*Applications will be considered incomplete until all documents have been received and all steps completed.
NOTE: Unlike the application process for Head Start, VPK does not require an in-person interview.
NOTE: Our new online Pre-Application will not allow you to move forward if your email address was previously used to apply for either Head Start or VPK through our system.
Please use our school directories search below to find a school near you that offers our VPK program. For a list of all VPK/Enrichment schools see below. To find your BCPS home school, click here.
Eligibility & Required Documents
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Eligibility:
- The child must be 4-years-old on or before September 1st of the current school year
- The child must be a resident of the State of Florida
- For free, VPK programs funded by Title I, the student must live within the boundary of the Title I school
When applying for the VPK Program, the following documents are required:
- Proof of age (example: child's ORIGINAL birth certificate)
- Proof of Broward County residency
- Parent’s photo identification (driver’s license, State ID, etc.)
There is a 2-step process to apply for any District VPK program:
- Parents must obtain a VPK Certificate of Eligibility from the State of Florida - ELC Family Portal Website. In order to do this, a valid email address is required.
- Applications for the VPK Certificate of Eligibility are submitted online through the State of Florida - ELC Family Portal Website: https://familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com/
- Proof of residence and proof of age must be uploaded into the SPE system.
- A VPK Certificate of Eligibility will be emailed to the applicant.
- Parents must upload their signed VPK Certificate of Eligibility on our webite and complete the document below:
VPK Additional Information
Due to the high demand, Federal, State and District requirements, a selection process must occur in order to ensure equity for selection in our Pre-K classes. Students are selected for enrollment in one of two ways:
- VPK/Enrichment (Title I Supported) Selection Process – This process is used to select Broward residents that are applying for the full day, free VPK/Enrichment class supported by State-funded VPK and Federally-funded Title I. It involves using multiple, education-related, objective criteria for selection of students. Students are selected based upon academic need using the information you provide through the BCPS – VPK Parent Portal online application AND the BRIGANCE developmental screening tool, administered by a teacher. Priority is given to students living within the school’s attendance boundary.
- VPK/Enrichment (Tuition Supported) Process – This process is used to select students that are applying for the full or half-day, VPK/Enrichment (Tuition Supported) classes offered at selected BCPS schools. There are limited seats for parents interested in a free, 3-hour, VPK only class and seats for families interested in a full day, VPK/Enrichment tuition supported program. Students are selected based upon District priority and random selection. Priority is given to students living within the school’s attendance boundary.
For more information, please contact the Head Start/Early Intervention Department, VPK Office at 754-321-1961.
Important Information about Entering Kindergarten after Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK)
Selection for a Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) program at a school does not guarantee placement for Kindergarten at the same school. If your child is selected or offered a seat in a Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) class that is not your boundary school, you must apply for and receive a reassignment in order for your child to attend Kindergarten at the same school. To learn about the reassignment process, please visit the School Choice website.