Eligibility - Head Start/Early Head Start, VPK
- Head Start children must be 3-or 4-years-old on or before September 1, 2019.
- Family income must be at or below the 2019 US Department of Health & Human Services Poverty Guidelines to qualify for the program.
- Applications must be completed by the parent/guardian ONLY.
- Children with disabilities, homeless and Foster Care children, who meet all other requirements, are encouraged to apply.
Documents Needed To Apply
- Proof of age (child’s ORIGINAL birth certificate or passport)
- Proof of guardianship, if applicable
- Parent/guardian photo identification
- Proof of Broward County residence (domicile)
- Proof of ALL HOUSEHOLD INCOME FOR PREVIOUS CALENDAR YEAR (2018) OR PAST 12 MONTHS
Examples of acceptable income documentation for each family member
- 2018 Pay stubs with year-to-date income for
- 2018 W-2 Forms (for
- 2018 Income Tax Form 1040 (with Schedule C if self-employed)
- Unemployment Compensation Records
- Public Assistance records (TANF, W.A.G.E.S.) with amounts and dates received
Notarizedwritten statement from employer
- Retirement benefits records
- Supplemental Security Income records (SSI)
- Veterans benefits records
- Child Support/Alimony records
- Worker’s Compensation records
- Military allotment records
- Training stipends
- Grants, fellowships, scholarships
- Social Security Benefits
Please be aware of the following: Broward County Head Start/Early Head Start has a limited number of available slots and applying does not guarantee that your child will be enrolled. Enrollment is based on eligibility and the needs of the child/family. To be accepted, your child needs to meet the age and income requirements. Please read these guidelines before starting the online application. 2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines (coming soon). For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call 754-321-1961.
Eligibility & Required Documents
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Eligibility:
- The child must be 4-years-old on or before September 1st of the current school year
- The child must be a resident of the State of Florida
- For free, VPK programs funded by Title I, the student must live within the boundary of the Title I school
When applying for the VPK Program, the following documents are required:
- Proof of age (example: child's ORIGINAL birth certificate)
- Proof of Broward County residency
- Parent’s photo identification (driver’s license, State ID, etc.)
There is a 2-step process to apply for any District VPK program:
- Parents must obtain a VPK Certificate of Eligibility from the State of Florida - ELC Family Portal Website. In order to do this, a valid email address is required.
- Applications for the VPK Certificate of Eligibility are submitted online through the State of Florida - ELC Family Portal Website: https://familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com/
- Proof of residence and proof of age must be uploaded into the SPE system.
- A VPK Certificate of Eligibility will be emailed to the applicant.
- Parents must upload their signed VPK Certificate of Eligibility on our webite and complete the document below: