School Advisory Council
The 5 standards for the SAC Accreditation can be found at this linked website:
School Improvement is an absolute priority for all Broward schools. To make it happen, every school has a school Advisory Council which studies the school's track record and comes up with an annual plan to improve education in vital areas such as: student achievement, curriculum, safety and discipline. A printed copy of these plans are on file at school and will be sent home upon request. Call us if you would like to be a part of this great team.
What is the SAC Committee?
The School Advisory Council (SAC) is a team of people representing various segments of the community–parents, teachers, students, administrators, support staff, business/ industry people and other interested community members.
What are the roles and responsibilities of the committee?
SAC member gather to discuss the school’s academic plan and progress. They discuss the School Improvement Plan - a plan made of goals and objectives established for the school determined by needs. The purpose of the School Improvement Plan is to increase student performance. The SAC committee assists the school principal with budget and recommends how school monies are spent or allocated.
- Develops school’s vision or mission
- Uses state goals as guiding principles
- Establishes by-laws
- Examines data from a variety of sources
- Determines and prioritizes needs
- Assists in the implementation of the current SIP
- Plans for distribution of recognition funds must be completed by February 1
- Decides how to measure results
- Assists in preparation & evaluation of the SIP
- Assists in recruiting SAC members
- Assists in deciding how to spend funds to meet objectives
- Revises the SIP
How can parents get involved and participate in the SAC committee?
Parents are encouraged to attend the monthly meeting of the SAC committee at Challenger. School Advisory Forum (SAF) meets immediately after SAC each month. Parents are also invited to attend the subcommittee monthly meetings and become involved with teachers who review and revise the SIP according to the curricular needs of our students. The committee meetings are posted in the school calendar on the home page of the web site.
Why is it important for parents to be active participants?
- The SAC committee provides a place where parents can voice their opinions and suggestions. They have an active role in making decisions that will best serve the students.
- SAC also gives the opportunity for parents to actively participate in setting goals and making plans to achieve those academic goals.
- SAC allows for parents to identify issues that need to be addressed concerning the school climate.