School Advisory Forum (SAF):
School Board policy requires that each school have a School Advisory Forum (SAF) composed of parents, teachers, community members, school administrators, non-instructional support staff, and other stakeholders. The SAF provides an opportunity for stakeholders to discuss and recommend actions on a variety of school issues.The School Advisory Forum (SAF) shall foster and promote communication between its stakeholders, the school, and the Area Advisory Council. The SAF shall bring forth recommendations, concerns and interests to and from their Area Advisory Council.
* Plan, develop, and implement parent/community programs and training activities.
* Address parent/community concerns; work with administration to solve problems and initiate desired changes.
* Identify and coordinates the use of community resources to improve student achievement and school effectiveness.
* Participate in increasing/sustaining high levels of community support for the school.
* Assist SAC in identifying the educational needs and priorities of the school.
* Participate in the preparation of the budget, and review budget related concerns.
* Advocated for positive change in the school.
* Remain current with school, district, state, and national issues.
* Jointly works with School Board Members, Superintendent, and local Government officials.
Facilities, Safety, Legislative, ESE, ESOL, Boundaries, Curriculum, Dress code, and Transportation are all issues addressed by SAF.
What can be accomplished if I participate in SAF?
Over the years, it has been parents, teachers, community members, etc. who have made positive changes in schools. These changes can be at the school level, district level, state level and within the community or city. From the school level, parents like you made the following changes:
* Instead of having social security number to identify children, the schools now use a new randomly generated number to prevent identify theft and other privacy issues.
* Defibrillators are now at every high school. A defibrillator is a machine used to shock the victim's heart and restore the heart's normal rythmic patterns. When a defibrillator is used, it in effect kicks the heart into action again, causing it to resume sending blood throughout the body. This was needed specifically due to incidents during athletic activities.