What is SAC?
School Advisory Council (SAC)
School Improvement is an absolute priority for all Broward schools. To make it happen, every school has a school Advisory Council which studies the school's track record and comes up with an annual plan to improve education in vital areas such as: student achievement, curriculum, safety and discipline. These plans are on file at every school. Call us if you would like to be a part of this great team.
The School Advisory Council shall be the sole body responsible for final decision-making at the school relating to implementation of ss.1001.42(18) and1008.345.U
What is the SAC Committee?
The School Advisory Council (SAC) is composed of parents, teachers, community members, school administrators, non-instructional support staff, and other stakeholders who meet regularly to establish priorities, set annual objectives, and monitor action steps for school improvement.
What do they do?
SAC member gather to discuss the school’s academic plan and progress. They discuss the School Improvement Plan - a plan made of goals and objectives established for the school determined by needs. The purpose of the School Improvement Plan is to increase student performance. The SAC committee assists the school principal with budget and recommendation on how school monies are spent or allocated.
How can parents get involved and participate in the SAC committee?
Parents are encouraged to attend the monthly meeting of the SAC committee at their child’s school.
Why is it important for parents to be active participants?
* The SAC committee provides a place where parents can voice their opinions and suggestions. They have an active role in making decisions that will best serve the students.
* SAC also gives the opportunity for parents to actively participate in setting goals and making plans to achieve those academic goals.
* SAC allows for parents to identify issues that need to be addressed concerning the school climate.
The role of the SAC is to facilitate the development & monitor progress of the SIP:
- Each SAC shall actively participate in the preparation of the school’s annual
budget and plan (F.S.C. 1001.452).
- The SAC chairperson shall sign the school budget when it is submitted for district budget preparation as an indication of SAC participation.
- A portion of fund provided in the annual General Appropriations Act for use by school advisory councils must be used for implementing the school improvement plan.
- SACs will operate using established administrative guidelines, as determined by the Superintendent.
School Advisory Council (SAC) By Laws:
Student Advisory Council (SAC) Minutes
Click here to view the School Advisory Council Minutes as of December 2018