Deerfield Beach Middle School
International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Program
Ms. MJ Caputo, IB Coordinator
JOIN US FOR OUR OPEN HOUSE THURSDAY JANUARY 18, 2018 6:00PM
What is the IB Middle Years International Baccalaureate Program?
The IB Program is an internationally standardized accelerated honors course of study for highly motivated and academically talented students. Higher level thinking skills, integrated curriculum, thematic units, international-mindedness, and intercultural awareness combine to provide a well-rounded education. This unique magnet program challenges students to become self-directed learners and responsible world citizens.
What are the entrance criteria?
Residency NORTH of Commercial Boulevard
FSA score of Level 4 or 5 in ELA AND Math on most recent test
A minimum GPA of 3.0
** Transportation is provided for all students living at least 2 miles from our school.**
What is the application process?
Students who live NORTH of Commercial Boulevard and outside our feeder school boundary must complete an online application between December 1, 2018 – February 7, 2018.
Students within our feeder school boundary should contact our IB magnet office at 754-322-3319 for application procedures.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST provide a copy of the most recent report card and FSA scores.
What makes this program unique?
- Unlike other magnet or choice options, the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) is a rigorous academic program focusing on ALL SUBJECT AREAS rather than one area of interest or ability.
- The entrance requirements are the most stringent in Broward County.
- Students participate in 8 required subjects.
- There is a strong emphasis on advanced course work and becoming fluent in another language.
- At the core of the program is the IB Learner Profile which represents 10 attributes valued by IB World Schools, students, staff, and stakeholders.
- Approaches to Learning (Skills that teach students how to learn)
- Teachers must be trained by the International Baccalaureate Organization.
What are the advantages of this program?
- All Advanced Courses
- Opportunity to earn up to 6 High School Credits
- Development of the Whole Child
- Growth of Character and Abilities
- Service Learning
- Motivated Peers
- Global Concepts
- Students are held to International Standards
- Well-rounded preparation for the High School IB Diploma Program
What Courses are offered? (*High School Credit)
(Visual and Performing)
Language and Literature (Language Arts)
Design (Use and apply technology effectively to produce digital / product design.)
Mathematics (Advanced, Pre- Algebra, Algebra*, Geometry*)
Individuals and Societies
(World History, Civics, American History)
Physical and Health Education
(Healthy bodies and healthy minds – fit for life!)
Language Acquisition (French or Spanish Introduction, Level 1*, Level 2*)
(Comprehensive, Environmental*, Biology*)