The Driver Education Program is offered by Broward County Public Schools at Deerfield Beach High School and is free of charge.
Prior to the 1998 school year , the Broward County School System’s drivers’ education program included both classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel experience for attending students. In 1998, due to budget constraints, a phasing out of the behind-the-wheel component of the program began. Effectively, the drivers’ education program’s “physical cars” were replaced with “virtual cars” in the form of computer-based driving simulators. By the year 2000, the drivers’ education program had totally transitioned to a classroom/simulation-based program.
With the support of the Dori Slosberg Driver Education Safety Act, the Broward County School System restructured its drivers’ education program. The restructured program was piloted at Plantation High School during the summer of 2003. After evaluation and analysis of the pilot program, an expanded drivers’ education program has been instituted at 15 high school locations within the Broward County School System.
- Provide a program that ensures the safety of our student drivers
- Mandatory driving in physical cars (not simulators)
- Expansion to all public high schools within Broward County
- State certification for all instructors
- Provide research and statistics of all student drivers that completed our program
Students have to be 15 years of age prior to the registration date.
Driver’s Education classes are for current students only. If a student graduates or withdraws from high school prior to the start date of a session, they are no longer eligible to participate in the program.
Register through Virtual Counselor
- • Go to Virtual Counselor
- • Login as a Student
- • Main Dropdown Menu: Select Driver’s Education
- • Informational Page will Appear: Please Read
- • Go to the bottom of the Informational Page and choose
- • Register For Driver’s Ed./Print Certificate
- • Choose your Site and Time
- • Click Register at the Bottom
- • Choose: Student Information on the left side of the page to print a registration confirmation.