We have many codes that signal a particular type of emergency and what to do. The Plantation Fire and Police Departments worked with us to develop our procedures. Here are the codes used:
- BLACK - Bomb Threat. Depending on the information and location, students may or may not be evacuated.
- ORANGE - Evacuate the building due to strange odor or unsafe situation.
- YELLOW - Lockdown. Only the school's Safe Team may move about campus.
- RED - Lockdown. Only the police may move about campus.
- BLUE - Medical emergency. Call 911
The school's Safe Team consists of the Principal, Assistant Principal, Guidance Counselor, Reading Coach, Math Coach, ESE Specialist, IB Coordinator, Support Staff and School Resource Officer. We meet regularly to review scheduled or unscheduled drills and discuss procedures. All Safe Team members have received special training on Emergency Preparedness.
Schools conduct at least 10 drills a year. Classrooms have primary and secondary routes for exit. Drills happen at different times of the day and this year, we will practice "thinking on your feet" scenarios in which a typical route might be blocked. Hopefully, parents are also practicing fire drills at home. Every home needs an escape route and a meeting place. In the event of a critical incident or planned emergency drill, parents will be communicated with information via Parentlink. It is important that we have your current contact information.