Hello Bobcat Community. This is Principal Fatout with my most current newsletter. I want to first wish a Happy Mother’s Day to all of our Bobcat Moms. Today, and every day, your commitment to your child’ social emotion and academic growth is honored and valued. You are loved and appreciated.
The past few weeks kicked off our FSA Writing and Reading Assessments. This week will start our EOC testing with US History and Geometry, while Algebra 1 and Biology EOCs be taking place throughout May. Advanced Placement testing and Career & Technical Industry Certification testing will also take place during May. We wish all of our Bobcats a successful testing season.
Senior Class of 2021 updates are ongoing. Last Thursday, School Counseling, BRACE, Ms. Syrocki, and I met with our Seniors via Microsoft Teams. We challenged Seniors to finish strong and continue to communicate with parents and teachers all the way up to graduation. We look forward to interacting with our Seniors during their upcoming events. The presentation was recorded and posted to the Senior Canvas page.
Saturday, May 15th, is Prom “Starry Night” on campus from 8-11PM. May 25th is Senior Awards at 5PM. June 4th is Senior BBQ on campus from 5:30-8:30PM. June 5th is City of Pembroke Pines Honoring WBHS graduates in a parade at 1:30PM at the Charles Dodge City Center. June 10th is graduation at the DRV PNK Stadium at 4PM. We hope to see all of our graduates soon!!
Congratulations to recent Class of 2021 Senior accomplishments:
- Outstanding Senior Leaders!! Janine Downs, Daniella Lopez, Julia Shipman, and Morgan Spencer. I am so proud of you!! Our Bobcat Community loves everything about you!!!
- So proud of Gianna Aleman as she took Action and Participated in “Rally-2-Tally 2021”!!
- FEA Senior Scholarship Winners Carter Wilson and Angelica Alvarez!! Very proud!!
- FEA brought home a 1st Place Trophy and 2- 2nd Place Trophies for all their projects this year! Great job FEA!!
- West Broward FFEA Florida Future Educators of America club on being recognized by the State of Florida as an “Outstanding FFEA Chapter!! Great leadership by Mrs. Vazquez, Ms. Lacayo, and Ms. Wilson!
- Angelina Campos, Parker Harrison, and Alex Steele performed live at Broward Performing Arts during the Pre-Nationals Speech and Debate Eunoia performance!! Congratulations to these amazing well spoken Bobcats!!! So proud!!
- Allison Cohen, Emily Leon, Samantha Soskin, and Gabrielle Watson for making Miami Herald All County Competitive Cheerleading!
- First Team “All County Soccer” Kayla Masters and Second Team “All County” Sydney Bellamy!! Bobcat Pride!!
- West Broward Speech and Debate Seniors!! Our Bobcat community is very proud!!
- Senior Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Boys Volleyball, Flag Football, Track and Field, Girls Lacrosse, Boys Lacrosse, and as they were recently recognized for their amazing athletic careers at WBHS!! Great job Bobcats!!
- West Broward High School’s Vicky Navarro!! She was honored by @DWStweets by Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz with the Game ChangeHER Award as an outstanding female student athlete!
- Anthony Hershey as he bowled in the Senior Bowl Scholarship and representing WBHS!! Go Bobcats!!
- Jazz Jones, Kayla Raya, and Oladapo Suleiman on winning School Duel. Free Chick-fil-A for one year. I love Chick-fil-A!!! Go Bobcats!!
- Hope Passerello on being honored as 1st Team All County Volleyball and Shelley Eaton and Katelyn Varon for being honored as 2nd Team All County Volleyball. Go Bobcats!!
- So proud of our Bobcat Senior “Class of 2021” World Guard members. Despite the pandemic they performed and excelled in numerous guard competitions. Great student performers!!
Important recent events that occurred:
- Bobcat Drama Theater 1 students performed “Fame Jr”!! What a great group of young theatrical performers!!
- West Broward Upper Level Drama presented “Into The Woods Jr” live!! Another amazing group of student performers!! Great leadership by Mrs. Nesmith!!
- CONGRATS to WEST BROWARD Best Buddies!! We are highest fundraiser school in Broward county with Armand Tamargo being the top fundraiser for WBHS. What a great group of students and dedicated leadership by Ms. Kalinsky!!
- West Broward Robotics Team projects impact the community. Read the full article here: bit.ly/3eZxafL.#BCPSProud. Go Botcats!
- West Broward NHS for winning 1st Place in 4 of the 6 categories, “Community Service, Fundraising, Scholarship, and Citizenship Development”, at the NHS Convention!! Amazing student leadership and leadership from Mrs. Zorn-Milmed!!
- Luciana Esteve for participating and receiving an Honorable Mention in the canCode hackathon competition. Go Bobcats!!
- So proud of our Bobcat Advanced Guard as they competed this year. Great job!! Great leadership by Mr. Calmer and his staff!!
- Congratulations West Broward Speech and Debate inductees, and to our Senior Speech and Debate students. Our Bobcat community is very proud!!
- Congratulations National Honor Society inductees. Congratulations Senior Speech and Debate students. Our Bobcat community is very proud!!
- Thank you to the 2020-21 Bobcat JROTC Leadership for a year of strong leadership:
Battalion Commander: Liliana Pita
Executive Officer: Preesha Malladi
Command Sergeant Major: Priscilla Palacios
Sergeant Majors: Angelica Pita and Anabela Alvarez.
- Congratulations to our incoming Bobcat JROTC 2021-22 Leadership:
Battalion Commander: Nanditha Pattoor
Executive Officer: Anika Krishnan
Command Sergeant Major: Alejandro Alicea
Sergeant Majors: Chloe Schade and Kenneth Valladares.
I am so proud of WBHS Best Buddies and Difference Makers students for creating a “Light It Up Blue” video for autism awareness. Great leadership Ms. Kalinsky, Mrs. Vazquez, and Ms. Lacayo!! instagram.com/tv/CNKxONEl6xa…
Congratulations to Mrs. Harrison on being recognized as the Broward Schools Office of Applied Learning “Civic Engagement Teacher of the Week”!! We honor your leadership, commitment, and wisdom!!!
Bobcat Athletics Accomplishments:
- West Broward Softball are “Back-to-Back District Champions”, winning their Regional Quarterfinal game, and are competing in the Regional Semifinal game on Tuesday, May 11th. Congratulations Bobcats!!!
- West Broward Baseball are District 14 7A District Champions!! What a great season!! Congratulations Bobcats!!
- Bobcat Boys Basketball “All County” selections!! Congratulations Noah Cosme, Jordan Dash, Alton Griggs, and Earl Maye!!
- Bobcat Girls Soccer “All County” award winners!! Congratulations Kayla Hoo Stewart, Isabella Rychel, and Melannie Sanchez!!
- The Bobcat Boys Lacrosse team were District runner ups this year!! Congratulations Bobcats!!
- Bobcat District Track: Girls 4x800= 4th place: Daniela Alicea, Nicole Pazmino, Kayla Barrios, Kelsey Noda Boys 4x800=2nd place: Brian Van Smith, Rhys Noda, Ayden Wodzisz, Ethan Lawrence Girls 1600= 3rd place:Daniela Alicea Boys 1600=2nd place: Brian Van Smith 3rd place: Rhys Noda
- Bobcat District Track: Girls 1600= 3rd place 5:55 Daniela AliceaBoys:1600=2nd place 4:39 Brian Van Smith 3rd place 4:41 Rhys Noda 4x100= 4th place 45.14 Earl Maye,Jared Francois, Ashton Sarrion, Jason Francois Girls 3200= 1st place 13:52 Daniela Alicea 4th place 14:17 Kelsey Noda
- Congratulations Bobcat Track Boys 3200 = 1st place 10:09, Brian Van Smith (Brian actually tied Coach Hodgers High School Record) 3rd place 10:23 Rhys Noda
- Congratulations to our Bobcat Tennis team on a great season. Two girls moved on to the District finals individuals – Sifa Butcher and Nicole Ruiz!!
- Congratulations Stephen Berrelli BCAA Individual Golf Champion!! Bobcat Pride!!
Students and Families, please remember that all BCPS Policies and Procedures are still in place on campus and at school-based activities. The Discipline Matrix, School Dress Code, and CDC Guidelines are expected to be followed on a daily basis. We are looking forward to welcoming back all students onto campus for the EOC testing schedule.
Seniors, please continue to check the website and Senior Canvas page for all updates on activities and information and don't forget May 17th is our Senior Graduation Virtual Rehearsal meeting at 2PM via Teams. See you then!
West Broward High would like to remind all students who come to campus that we appreciated their adherence to the guidelines that must be followed for safety, including the wearing of face masks, following the student walking patterns, and wearing of their school IDs. Please continue to visit our school's website for up-to-date information and events. We are in this together! Go Bobcats!
Good afternoon Bobcats this is Principal Fatout with a Spring Principal’s message. As we head into Spring Break I want to wish everyone a safe, healthy, and restful Spring Break.I would like to share a few announcements and also share some amazing Bobcat accomplishments.It is testing season. Our testing team has shared our April testing calendar and testing letter with parents. The testing letter is also posted on our school’s website. Please be reminded that all state standardized assessments must be taken in person and on campus. A complete update of FSA, EOC, and AP testing information will be shared with our Bobcat community by April 19th.Seniors, administration, School Counseling, and the District are planning great events for you to finish your Senior Year in style. There will be an in person graduation; information, dates and details will be shared once the District finalized the venue and the dates. We are planning some great Senior events on campus. Mrs Sanchez, Ms Syrocki, and Ms Yard will share details once we finalize them and discuss plans with students and stakeholders.On February 25th our Bobcat administration, School Counseling, and leadership staff welcomed incoming 9th graders and students interested in West Broward to our annual Curriculum Night. The event took place via Microsoft Teams. The virtual event was a huge success. The curriculum night video, highlighting all of West Broward innovative programs, is featured on our school website for everyone to enjoy. Go Bobcats!!Congratulations to Mrs Bellamy on being honored as the Bobcat Teacher of the Year!! We are honored to have you as a colleague!!Congratulations Ms Ayala as being awarded Bobcat Employee of the Year!! We are honored to have you as a colleague!! Bobcat Pride!!Congratulations to Bobcat Alumnus Allison Unger-Fink on being a Teacher of the Year Finalist. Our Bobcat Community is very proud!!Gianna Aleman, Student Advisor to the School Board, represented our Bobcat community with pride as she spoke at the 2021 Caliber Awards. Very proud of you Gianna!!Congratulations to the following students who qualified for the National Speech and Debate National Tournament!!Angelina Campos- Dramatic InterpretationParker Harrison- Humorous InterpretationAlex Steel - Humorous InterpretationMarsha Charles-Pierre- Informative Speaking- 1st alternateHeemanya Mondraty and Anika Mellacheruvu- Duo InterpretationThank you to West Broward High School Debate team for joining Silver Trails 8th grade students virtually! What a great presentation!Congratulations to girls soccer on a great season!!! Our Lady Bobcats are District Champions and made it to the Regional Semifinals. Go Bobcats!!Congratulations Hope Passerello on being honored as 1st Team All County Volleyball. Congratulations Shelley Eaton and Katelyn Varon on being honored as 2nd Team All County Volleyball. Go Bobcats!!Congratulations All County Bobcat Cross Country runners. Rhys Noda made first team, Brian Van Smith made second team, and Ayden Wodzisz was an honorable mention. Go Bobcats!!Our Botcats robotics team is proud to announce our Dean's List and Woodie Flowers nominees for the 2021 year! While each of our members contributes to our team, these incredible individuals go above and beyond and truly embody what it means to be a Botcat!Thank you Mrs. Houston on your leadership in your African American History class. Great job Bobcat students.Our Bobcat Football volunteered at our zone school Hawkes Bluff Elementary! Giving back to our communityMrs Vazquez’s and Ms Terribile’s hearts are happy!! Best day of the year... The Early Childhood Education 4 kids are starting their professional portfolios on campus!! Our Veterinarian students have returned to campus and the barn to pursue their industry certifications. 🥰 great leadership!!We couldn’t be happier to announce the show dates for our socially distant Musical Theater 2-3 production of “Into the Woods JR.”!! Take a journey into the woods with your favorite storybook characters on April 15th and 16th, 2021!!Musical Theater 1 production of “Fame JR.”!! Step into the 80’s at New York’s High School for the Performing Arts in this heartwarming musical on April 8th and 9th, 2021!West Broward World Guard had an amazing performance today!!! Thank you Performance Ensemble parents for your dedication to your children!! Great leadership Mr Calmer!! Go Bobcats!!Our very own Bobcats will defend their championship in the Broward School Duel games.Watch every Thursday on BECON-TV!West Broward will compete against Miramar on Thursday, March 11th, (ch 488 & 19 Comcast, ch 63 AT&T/Dish/Directv).Congratulations Jazz, Kayla, and Oladapo on winning School Duel last night. Free Chick-fil-A for one year. I love Chick-fil-A!!! Go Bobcats!!Congratulations Bobcat JROTC on advancing to the JLAB National Leadership Bowl Competition!! Go Bobcats!!Congratulations to the following sports for successfully starting their seasons; baseball, softball, flag football, girls lacrosse, boys lacrosse, and boys volleyball.Our amazing Bobcat School Counselors met virtually this month to register our incoming 9th grade students from Silver Trail Middle School and all of our returning Bobcats. Each counselor met one on one with students. Great collaboration and innovation!!
Good afternoon, Bobcats. I want to share some exciting Bobcat news and keep our community aware of the amazing things our Bobcats do every day.
Our Bobcat teachers and staff continue to do an amazing job welcoming our Bobcats back to campus. They exemplify a culture of caring by creating amazing activities in the classroom to meet the needs of their face-to-face students and remote learners. Every morning students are greeted with a, “Good morning, welcome to West Broward”!! Music is playing in the courtyard and all students are welcomed with open arms.
Please know that at anytime remote e-learners can return to face-to-face learning. We respectfully ask that you call West Broward first so we can make the appropriate transition.
Activities are permitted back on campus, please contact your sponsor for more details.
Please join us for the WBH Music Ensemble Drive-In Paradise show at Pines Charter! There will be two shows on Friday, 1/29/2021, @ 6PM and 7:15PM. Tickets may only be pre-purchased online via PayPal for $6 or Zelle for $5. Ticket sales end January 28. Please email email@example.com for questions.
National Honor Society news: School-wide tutoring takes place Monday thru Thursday from 3-4PM via Microsoft Teams. Members will utilize the breakout rooms for all subjects.
- Gearing up for applications to accept new members.
- November and December NHS members worked with Harvest Drive to make over 100 gallon size bags with travel size toiletries.
- NHS is currently working with "Her" (a group that supplies items to women's shelters) in collecting female items.
- NHS also had a district winner for the Choose Peace Week poster contest for the United Way. Great job Bobcats!!
National Spanish Honor Society:
- Currently holding a drive to assist the orphan children at Children's Harbor House (see attached flyer) it has been extended to 1/29.
- Members participate in the Weekly Tutoring program along with the National Honor Society
a. Prepare Valentine's Day Cards with our Special Bobcats (ESLS students) a tradition we have held for many years
- Celebrations of appreciation for:
a. Guidance Counselor Week.
b. World Languages Week
c. Secretary's Day
d. Administrator's Day
- Continued support for our ELL students offering tutoring sessions uniquely to meet their needs.
After careful consideration of our actors and techs’ safety, WBHS Drama is proud to announce our new spring 2021 musicals:
- Musical Theater 1: “Fame JR.” and
- Musical Theater 2-3: “Into the Woods JR.”
Our Bobcat Competitive Cheerleading team won Second Place at the Florida State Championship this past weekend!! We could not be more proud of our Cheer Squad and their Coaches! Well done, Bobcats!!
West Broward Wrestling won three matches last week, and are looking forward to continuing their success as the season continues. What a great group of athletes!! Go Bobcats!!
Congratulations to the Girls Soccer team on continuing their winning ways. This year they only have one loss on the season. Keep up the great work Bobcats!!
The Boys and Girls Basketball teams have been working hard to make a place for themselves in the circuit! We are proud of their dedication and passion for the game and their teammates! Keep up the hustle!
And in looking forward for both these sports, good luck to the Boys and Girls Soccer and the Boys and Girls Basketball teams as they head into the District Championships!!
Good luck to Bobcat Swim Team as they begin their season today! Who says Bobcats can't swim!! Enjoy every minute of the season ahead!
WBH is excited to welcome our Bobcats 3653 back on campus. This week they informed the whole team about their plans for the robotics season and got our students set up to program collaboratively! Great job, Bobcats!!
Congratulations to our Speech and Debate place winners at the Cavalier Invitational. Alex Steel placed third in Dramatic Interpretation and Angelina Campos was a semi finalist in Dramatic Interpretation. Great job!!
Bobcat yearbook updates. Last day for seniors to get their picture taken at Fox-Mar for the yearbook is 1/30/2021. The last day to purchase a dedication to celebrate a Senior is 1/311/2021. Thank you!
Great job, Mrs. Hartzell and Mrs. Longhi, as BRACE Advisors guiding our students to scholarship and college visit opportunities. Please visit West Broward BRACE on our school website and on Twitter @WBHBRACE.
- Two-week Historical Black Colleges & Universities Event starting January 19-28. @2021Wbhs @Wbhs2022. See the flyer below for information! #freeevent
West Broward High would like to remind all students who come to campus that we appreciated their adherence to the guidelines that must be followed for safety, including the wearing of face masks, following the student walking patterns, and wearing of their school IDs. Please continue to visit our school's website for up-to-date information and events. We are in this together! Have a great week, and Go Bobcats!
Greetings Bobcats. This is Mr. Fatout with my weekly message. On behalf of our Bobcat Staff I want to wish you and yours a safe and happy Season's Greetings!!
As we end the First Semester, we are thankful for an amazing Bobcat Community. We know we are blessed, as educators, to have such an amazing community of families. You are supportive of your children and are there alongside our amazing Bobcat Staff. I truly mean it when I say we are in this together, and together we will get through this.
I encourage you to continue to communicate with our Bobcat staff. Remember, Semester grades are not due until January 8, 2021. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teacher, administrator, and/or school counselor for assistance.
Below are just a couple of our Bobcat's accomplishments over the past few weeks. I am extremely proud of our Bobcats and the programs/activities they represent.
Congratulations to our Bobcat Speech and Debate program. Our Bobcats are ranked #4 in the State of Florida and # 71 in the United States!! Amazing leadership from Mrs. Harrison and Mr. Fleischer!! Great job, Bobcats!!
Congratulations to the Vet Assisting Program students who passed their industry certification test with 100% success! Ms. Terribile and Ms. Moral are extremely proud of their students!
Our WBTV Program has been nominated for a National Student Production Award Emmy given by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences NATAS), in the Magazine Show category for an Emmy! Well done, Mr. Rivera and Ms. Tesser for their outstanding leadership and to their students who are dedicated to ensuring their program stays world class!
Athletic Achievements over the last couple weeks include:
- Bowling placed 4th in County Districts and 10th in Tri-County Championships!
- Tri-County Cross Country Championship: Boys finished 5th out of 13 teams and 2nd Place Team for BCP Schools!
- Varsity Football beat Piper High Bengals last week at 13-0!!
Our Athletics Program is strong in both leadership and student dedication! Thank you to our Bobcats who are getting the job done, both in and out of the classroom.