Welcome to the Principal's Weekly Messages! Please refer to this page for all weekly messages for the 2019-20 School Year.
Week of 1/13/2020
Greetings Bobcats! As we enter the second week of the third quarter, I want to wish everyone again a Happy New Year!! I love continuing to witness the amazing things our staff, students, and community do each and every day. I wish everyone a blessed 2020.
An important well-wish goes out to the Senior Class of 2020. Continue to take college entrance exams, work hard towards academic success, and take care of your fellow human brings along the way. Your path to graduation is set and I can’t wait to honor you and celebrate your successes on Graduation Day!! (May 27, 2020)
As students returned to campus they were welcomed with a good morning and music. The cafeteria was filled with positive welcome back messages created by the West Broward High Staff for our Bobcat students!! What a great way to start 2020 with a Culture of Caring!! Go Bobcats!!
This past week was filled with accomplishments.
- WBHS SAT Family Night took place on 1/8/2020 at 6PM in the Media Center. A College Board rep shared info about the SAT and how to prepare for this test. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our BRACE Advisors at Mrs. Hartzell (N-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org and Mrs. Longhi (A-M) email@example.com
- So proud of our Bobcat Competitive Cheerleading Team as they have become BCAA Broward County District Champions. Congratulations!
- Very proud of our Girls Soccer Team for their commitment to each other, and celebrated their Senior players on 1/9/2020 with a fantastic win over Miramar HS!! Congratulations Seniors!!!
- Bobcat JROTC Raider Awards night was held on Wednesday evening. Congratulations Cadets on a great JROTC season. Thank you for your leadership, 1SG Sosa!!
- I wanted to also highlight our recent chorus accomplishments. I loved every moment watching West Broward Chorus perform at Disney’s Candlelight Processional at EPCOT!! Chorus also performed at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville “Tree Lighting Event” over the winter break. Amazing performance, wonderful music by our West Broward students. What a great group of students, all very talented! Thank you for your leadership, Mr. Diaz!!!
Our upcoming events for this week include:
- Herff Jones will be in the cafeteria for cap/gown purchases during both lunches on 1/14 & 1/15.
- Good luck to the following athletic teams in their games this week on 1/14 and 1/16: Boys and Girls Soccer, Boys and Girls JV and Varsity Basketball!
- Thursday, 1/16, is a PSD day with dismissal at 11:40AM; a bagged to-go lunch will be available to all students.
- Thursday, 1/16, Mr. Gonzalez will be hosting a Sophomore Class Assembly in the theater during 8th period.
We would like to wish our very own Mrs. Sarah Zorn-Milmed good luck at Thursday night's Caliber Awards, as she has earned a place as a District Finalist for Teacher of the Year!! We could not be more proud of our Bobcat leader in education!
Please remember that Monday, 1/20/2020, is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and schools will be closed.
Students, Parents/Guardians, and Community: Please remember, we are active participants in the school's safety plan. This begins with every student and staff member wearing their WBH School ID while on campus. Students will need to have their ID visible when in the hallways and for access to the Media Center and school passes. Admin and Campus Security are appreciative to our students and staff who "See Something, Say Something"! We are proud of our Bobcats and enjoy every day we have together to walk towards Graduation! For this reason, we ask that students please make value-based decisions; do not bring unauthorized substances to school, do not partake in behaviors that are in violation of the BCPS Discipline Matrix, and please dress in accordance with the dress code every day.
Parents and Guardians, we ask for your support at home with conversations regarding the dangers of vaping, to both your child's health and consequences to possession of vaping paraphernalia and nicotine/tobacco products on campus. Please visit the websites on our school site for BCPS Vaping Policy and prevention information. Thank you.
Week of 12/9/19
Week of 11/25/19
Bobcats, as I take a moment to give thanks to the many blessings in my life during this Thanksgiving Week, I want our Bobcat Community to know that I am grateful for you, appreciate our community spirit, and especially to be serving as your principal. Our culture of caring is evident in the classroom, on the athletic field, throughout the diverse clubs/organizations/academic programs, and throughout our community. I hope you are all able to enjoy every moment with your friends and family this Thanksgiving weekend.
Some highlights from last week:
- Congratulations to our West Broward Performance Ensemble for their accomplishment at the Florida Marching Band Championship. They won 1st Place in Class 5A and Grand Champions over all marching bands of the State of Florida. Categorically, we also won Best Guard and Percussion! These students spend hundreds of hours perfecting their performance. To witness their hard work and dedication towards the performing arts and each other is commendable. Thank you to Mr. Calmer for your long hours and leadership.
Thank you to our Bobcat parents for your countless hours to create sets and travel with their children. Our Bobcat Community is proud of our culture of caring!! Great job!!
- West Broward JROTC Marksmanship Team dominated the competition on Saturday, 11/23/19, at Stranahan HS. The A Team placed 1st and the B Team placed 2nd. Great job, Cadets!!
- Our Competitive Cheerleading Team began their season with two great performances. We wish the cheerleaders the best of luck this season!,
- So proud of West Broward FEA students. We are the President Chapter!! Great job, Bobcats!!
- This weekend, the Bobcat Debate Team had a fantastic time at the Falcon Invitational. We had lots of smiles at the end of the night among the novice and varsity teams. Here are the final results:
4th in Humorous Interpretation - Alex Steel. 1st in Duo Interpretation - Gianni Garcia and Salomon MItrani. 6th in Extemporaneous Speaking - Valeria Martin. 5th in Extemporaneous Speaking - Yasmin Mustafa. 4th in Impromptu - Mark Goodwin, 1st in Impormptu - Taylor Pierson. 6th in Informative Speaking - Kyle Awve. 5th in Informative Speaking - Adriana Martinez. 3rd in Congressional Debate - Justin Gonzalez. 4th in Original Oratory - Imani Sanchez. 6th in Original Oratory - Angelina Michalowski. 3rd in Lincoln Douglas - Nathania Mullings. 3rd in Public Forum - Robert Quinn and Hassan Palanpurwala. 5th in Public Forum - Casey Glymph and Nataliah Olden. An additional shout out to Mr. Fleischer for chaperoning the tournament.
Please remember, we are active participants in the school's safety plan. This begins with every student and staff member wearing their WBH School ID while on campus. Students will need to have their ID visible when in the hallways and for access to the Media Center and school passes.
Admin and Campus Security are appreciative to our students and staff who "See Something, Say Something"! We are proud of our Bobcats and enjoy every day we have together to walk towards Graduation! For this reason, we ask that students please make value-based decisions; do not bring unauthorized substances to school, do not partake in behaviors that are in violation of the BCPS Discipline Matrix, and please dress in accordance with the dress code every day.
Parents and Guardians, we ask for your support at home with conversations regarding the dangers of vaping, to both your child's health and consequences to possession of vaping paraphernalia and nicotine/tobacco products on campus. Please visit the websites below for BCPS Vaping Policy and prevention information. Thank you.
BCPS Anti-Vape Flyer
BCPS Intervention Policies/Programs (WBHS Webpage)
Please see all of our Principal's Messages at https://www.browardschools.com/Page/49774 and follow our Twitter @westbrowardhigh to keep up with all WBH's activities and news! Wishing all a happy and healthy Thanksgiving Holiday, Go Bobcats!!
Week of 11/18/19
Greetings Bobcats. Each week we have amazing highlights and news to share about our amazing Bobcats. This past week was extra special. We had two organizations recognized at the State level.
We are very proud of Hayden Miller, a young and awesome musician that was selected as the drummer for The FMEA - Florida Music Education Association All State Jazz Band. It’s the highest honor for high school music students. There is only one drum performer in the State of Florida who is chosen for this honor. We are all very proud of Hayden!
STATE CHAMPIONS!!! Congratulations to the Bobcat Girls JROTC Raider Cadets for winning the Florida JROTC Raider State Championship!! We are so proud!! Great Leadership, 1SG Sosa!!
Congratulations, Boys JROTC Raider Cadets for finishing Second in the Florida State JROTC Raider Championship!!
Congratulations mixed JROTC Raider Cadets for finishing 3rd in the Florida State JROTC Raider Championships!! We are all very proud of the entire WBHS JROTC program!
It was another memorable Debate tournament for the Bobcats Saturday at the second CFL of the year. Here are some of the highlights: Zachary Morris -1st in Informative Speaking. Parker Harrison & Matthew Spenkuch -1st in Duo Interpretation. Gianni Garcia & Salomon Mitrani - 5th in Duo Interpretation. Anika Mellacheruvu, Hemaanya Mondraty - 6th in Duo Interpretation. Adriana Hernandez - 3rd in Original Oratory. Gabriel McPherson - 6th Lincoln Douglas Debate. Joel Matthews 1st in Novice Congress. Justin Gonzalez - 2nd in Novice Congress. Victoria Manzato and Ria Rajpal 3rd in Novice Public Forum!
West Broward High PTSA hosted a College Prep/Scholarship Night on 11/13/19. This event provided vital information on all of the things parents and students could do to get started on college preparation, from as early as 9th grade! There was an amazing turnout. We thank our School Board Member, Mrs. Good, for attending. We also thank Mrs Hartzell and Mrs Difede for presenting vital information.
Thank you, Bobcats, for giving back to this year’s Harvest Drive. Thank you to Ms. Yard and Mr. Gonzalez for leading this important initiative. As a community, we donated thousands of donations of food to families in need for the Thanksgiving holiday. I am very proud of our commitment to others.
This weekend our Bobcat Performance Ensemble will compete at the Florida State Championship in Daytona, Florida. Best of luck Bobcats!!!
I also want to wish the best of luck to our Winter Sports that start this week: Boys and Girls soccer, Boys and Girls Basketball, and Girls Competitive Cheerleading. Go Bobcats!!
Week of 11/12/19
Welcome back, Bobcats, from your three day weekend. I want to start by thanking all of our Veterans for your individual service to our great Country. Thank you to your families who stood by your side while you served.
On November 5th we honored our Veterans with a luncheon. Thank you for your service to America. Thank you to Ms. Yard for coordinating the luncheon and thank you to Mr. Diaz and Mrs. Zorn-Milmed for having chorus and NHS participate. Go Bobcats!!
This week marks the first official week of Winter Sports. Girls Soccer opens their season vs Taravella (HOME at 4PM). Boys Soccer opens their season today at Taravella (AWAY at 4PM). Tomorrow Boys Soccer plays vs Pines Charter (HOME at 4PM) and Girls Soccer plays at Pines Charter (AWAY at 5PM). Also Competitive Cheerleading opens their season with their first competition on Wednesday at Miramar High starting at 6PM. Come out and support our Winter Sports.
To continue with athletics, I want to congratulate our Girls Volleyball team for making it to the Regional Championship. Although we did not win, our team was the only Broward School team left in the State Tournament. Very proud!!
Congratulations to the following swimmers for advancing to the Regional Swim Championship: Ella Terran, Emily Lopez-Diaz, Michelle Marinheiro, and Celenia Lumelski. Good luck, Bobcats!!
Congratulations to the following BCAA Girls Volleyball All Stars: Coach of the South all Stars – Our own Coach Allison Edens. Bobcat All Stars: Angelica McShan, Emily Arroyo, and Jayla Clay! All-Star Girls Volleyball Game Information
Site: Monarch HS, Thursday, November 19, 2019, 6:30PM, North vs South.
Congratulations to the following Bobcat football players and Cheerleaders for being selected as BCAA All Stars: Mariano Smith, Luis Hernandez, Ayeemlee Waji, Braniya Washington, and Chelsea Torres. The 23rd Annual Broward All Star Game will be on December 12th at Nova High starting at 7PM.
The past two weeks have been filled with Bobcat accomplishments.
- WBTV Production came home from a trip to Missouri with 12 awards; 4 first places. Our WBTV program was recognized as one of the best TV Production programs in the Nation. Great job, Bobcats!!!
- Our WBHS Performance Ensemble participated in the Hawkes Bluff Elementary Book Parade. Thank you to Mr Calmer for his leadership and to the band members for giving back to your community.
- Under the leadership of the District Activities Office, Mrs. Santiago, and our Activities Director, Ms. Yard, West Broward who organized WBH to host “High School Nation” an interactive arts assembly to promote positive messages, activities, and the arts.
- Veterinarian Assisting visited “Dolphin Experiences: Island Dolphin Care” in Key Largo on Friday. Great leadership, Ms. Terribile and Ms. Kuhns. Thank you, Bobcat Alumnus Harrison Albert, for hosting and growing our Bobcat Community!!
- Our Bobcats, lead by Mrs. Zorn-Milmed, will compete in School Dual again. We won this inter-high school academic competition two years ago. Best of luck, Bobcats!!
- Congratulations to our Performance Ensemble on being awarded “Grand Champions” 5A at the Park Vista competition. Our Bobcat Performance Ensemble won Best General Effect, Best Music Ensemble, Best Visual, and Best Guard. Best of luck at the State Championship on November 23rd in Daytona.
- We won! Natalie Dillehay won first place in the drawing section of the All Star Art Exhibit in Broward College against almost 100 other entries! Congratulations!!
- Thank you, Ms. Fernandez, for hosting a Mentor Appreciation Breakfast for our Take Stock in Children Broward Mentors. It was great to open our school doors to the community!!
A few reminders:
- Broward College Admission Counselors will be on campus on November 13 and 14. Students who are interested in registering need to sign up through their Naviance account in order to attend. Go to “About Me” then “My Surveys” & "Broward College Jumpstart" will be under “Surveys Not Started”.
- Friday, 11/15/19, West Broward invites our community to attend a Friday Night Movie Night in our theater. All proceeds will be donated to the Harvest Drive. The doors will open at 6PM and the movie will start at 6:20PM. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- West Broward High PTSA is hosting a College Prep/Scholarship Night on Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 at 6:00 PM, in the WB Theater.
This night is dedicated to providing vital information on all of the things you can do as parents and students to get started on college preparation, from as early as 9th grade!! Our BRACE Advisor and Guidance Director will be speaking about all of the options available. They are also featuring Staci Schnell, M.S., C.S., LMFT of Counseling and Wellness Center of South Florida, who will be speaking about the emotional transition of college and new-found independence for both students and parents. This is a great presentation for seniors and their parents as well.
Several local colleges, universities and technical schools will have representatives available on campus to answer any questions you may have concerning admissions. PTSA will also be selling pizza beginning at 5:30! Please join PTSA for this amazing event with invaluable information!
Have a great week and Go Bobcats!