Students will be able to continue learning in a variety of ways in the event of school closures.
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is committed to supporting students and families in making sure that learning never closes. When the school buildings are closed for any reason (vacation, weekends, or even unexpected closures), BCPS encourages families and caregivers to have students engage in academic activities. As such, the following options ensure that in Broward County, learning is continuous.
Each student in BCPS has a suite of grade level appropriate academic tools available to them 24/7/365. Access to adopted textbooks, Canvas learning management system and dozens of other resources are available through this Clever portal. Students can access their suite of resources via the Single-Sign-On Clever LaunchPad (Links to an external site.). Some of the resources available to students may require teacher lesson initiation prior to them accessing the activities.
To prepare to maximize educational resources, families should take the following actions now:
• Ensure their contact information is up to date. An emergency contact card can be downloaded from http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/ets/css/recret/recordsret/pdfs/StudentEmergencyCard4172.pdf (Links to an external site.). The card should be returned to the school.
• Make sure you know and have securely stored their student’s BCPS “Log In” information to access the Single Sign-On Clever LaunchPad. This is the BCPS student # and their password, or for grades K-2 their PIN.
Students should practice logging in from home regularly to ensure they can access digital resources including textbooks, Canvas learning management system, Newsela, Khan Academy, and other provisioned applications.
• Familiarize themselves with open Canvas courses.
• Access the Supporting Young Learners Course Open Canvas Course. The purpose of the Supporting Young Learners Course is to provide parents, guardians, and caregivers with guidance and resources related to English Language Arts/Literacy, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Social Emotional Learning to help ensure their child is successful in school. For early learners, grades K-5: https://browardschools.instructure.com/courses/627242.
• Download their free copy of Microsoft Office Suite from https://www.browardschools.com/Page/38732. (Links to an external site.)
Upon school closures, information on closures and how to access learning will be made available in the following methods:
• Broward Schools web page ( (Links to an external site.)http://www.browardschools.com (Links to an external site.)); The Learning Never Closes web portal https://www.browardschools.com/learningnevercloses (Links to an external site.)
• Parent Link: phone calls, emails, and text messages;
• BCPS app (Google Play and Apple iOS) (https://www.browardschools.com/Page/34185 (Links to an external site.))
• BECON-TV (WBEC- AT&T Channel 63 or Comcast Channel 19)
• BECON-Radio (WXPX-FM 88.5 from 7:30 AM – 6 PM);
• Twitter: @browardschools (https://twitter.com/browardschools (Links to an external site.));
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/browardschools (Links to an external site.).
In the event of school closures, the following layered approach of providing learning opportunities will be made available:
1. Home-based activities that are age and content area appropriate. These materials will be provided as web pages, as PDFs, and/or in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
2. Activities and assignments customized to the student’s grade level and course enrollments through the Single Sign-On Clever LaunchPad. This will include the use of Canvas either through open enrollment courses and/or teacher-specific courses, if the teacher has set up their course. Additionally, instructional materials will be made available through library/media resources, digital textbooks, Nearpod, Vocabulary.com, Newsela, Khan Academy, Naviance, and other grade/course-specific digital resources. Students can access these applications by clicking on the Digital Student Resources icon on their Launchpad.
3. The capability to interact with teachers and other students by live video and/or audio via a browser and/or phone connection. Further details on this capability will be provided at BCPS: Learning Never Closes, https://www.browardschools.com/learningnevercloses. (Links to an external site.)
4. To videoconference with their students through Canvas by using the BigBlueButton. To learn more about this functionality, click on App of the Month for additional details.