Mrs. Lydia Knighton
Endeavour Primary Learning Center Counseling Connection
SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAM
MISSION & OVERVIEW
As an elementary school in the Broward Public School District, Endeavour Primary Learning Center’s school counseling mission is to implement a proactive guidance program that fosters academic achievement, career awareness, personal growth and a positive self-image for all students within a safe and secure learning environment.
- Promote and enhance achievement with an annual comprehensive guidance plan that ensures that every student receives guidance services.
- Provide comprehensive counseling programs that incorporate prevention and intervention with continuous academic, career and personal/development activities that will prepare students for meaningful participation in a diverse, changing world.
- Classroom Guidance lessons in every classroom throughout the school year. Lessons are focused on personal, social/interpersonal, academic, and career development
- Group Counseling for students who are recommended by teachers or their parents. Groups of 6-8 students meet once per week for around eight weeks on topics such as: friendship, divorce/separation, study/organizational skills, grief and loss, and anger management. In order for students to participate in groups parents must sign permission slips.
- Individual Counseling is available to students on a short-term basis. School counselors do not provide therapy. When necessary, referrals are made to appropriate community resources. Also, a variety of other proactive and innovative ways to support student performance.
- Program implemented based on the National Standards for School Counseling programs and the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model.
- Finally, also provide resources to staff, students, families and others to ensure that a family friendly environment is established and ensure that students have access to a safe school climate necessary for academic and social/emotional growth.
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
Guidance provides a number of programs and services to help students achieve success and develop life skills in three personal competency areas.
- Academic Success
- From Pre-Kindergarten to grade 3, the counselor support teachers and parents/guardians to help students achieve competencies at each grade level. The following are examples: test-taking strategies, study skills, using a planner, getting organized and increasing their academic success.
- Career Development Success
- As the School counselor I utilize career development lessons and strategies to help students understand the relationship between personal qualities, education and training, and the world of work. Examples of these strategies are: career awareness and exploration, goal setting, high school graduation facts, scholarship opportunities and use of future-planning tools such as FACTS.org
- Personal and Social Success
- As the School counselor I work with staff and community to provide support for students. Ensuring they are safe and healthy and promoting life skills such as education, character development, social skills, making friends, alternatives to peer pressure and managing stress.