The media center is open to students for checkout and return of books from 7:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Students participate in the following reading motivation programs: Reading Across Broward (RAB), Summer Reading Wall of Fame, Book-It, and Accelerated Reader. Details regarding these programs are shared through the school newsletter or may be obtained by contacting the media specialist. For your convenience, the RAB form is located in this agenda book.
WFTN, our in-house TV studio, presents a live morning news show at 8:05 a.m. each day. This hands-on learning program is planned and conducted by the fifth grade students.
Reading Across Broward
Reading Across Broward is a voluntary reading incentive program. The goal is to motivate students to read, read, read! When your child reads a book, the title should be recorded on the RAB record sheet. Students may also list books that are read to them.
The first five books recorded on the sheet MUST be award winners. The form to list the books is located in this agenda book.
The program runs from April 1, 2019 through March 31, 2020, so books read during the summer vacation count toward this year’s goal. Don’t forget to add them to the list!
All Fox Trail Students are encouraged to participate in this worthwhile program.
Media Center Procedures
- Take good care of our books.
- Return books on time. Books may be checked out for one week and may be renewed two times.
- 2 books may be checked out at a time. 1st Semester Kindergartners will be allowed 1 book.
- Use whisper voices.
If you love to read and help children then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas.
- shelve books
- prepare materials
- assist with book fair
- type certificates
- assist with inventory
If you are interested, please contact the Media Specialist. Before volunteering, you must complete the on-line application at the BCPS Volunteer website. We look forward to hearing from you!
Book Donation Policy
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest in maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection.
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate elementary school academic level.