MEDIA CENTER LITERACY SUPPORT
2018-2019 OMS V.A.L.O.R.
Value Added Literacy Opportunities Reinforced
The OMS V.A.L.O.R. Media Center Literacy Solutions exists to accomplish the following literacy-related objectives:
- To assist all departments to teach literacy in their disciplines as an essential means of learning in the disciplines
- To evaluate and recognize student literacy deficiencies and provide appropriate, strategic assistance to improve student achievement
- To facilitate student-initiated conversations and discussions regarding texts that is authentic and relevant to real-life experiences
- To create a school-wide culture that allows students to engage in critical thinking activities geared towards Florida Standards Assessment
- To promote literacy activities between school and community
- Sunshine State Young Readers Award
- Novel activities
- Reading Across Broward
- Dania-Beach Library Partnership
- Library Card Drive
- Scholastic Book Fair - October 10 - 14, 2018
- Scholastic Book Fair – March 11-15, 2019
Hours of Operation
In addition to the regular school day, the Media Center is open from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm daily. Students will be accommodated on a first come, first serve basis. All Language Arts classes are scheduled to visit the Media Center to enable students to check out books and utilize the Media Center on a regular basis.
Please contact Ms. Black to schedule your class into the Media Center.
Media Center Procedures
- Take good care of our books.
- Return books on time. Books may be checked out for two weeks and may be renewed two times.
- 3 books may be checked out at a time._____________________________________________________________________
If you love to read and help children, then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas:
- Shelve books
- Prepare materials
- Assist with book fair
- Type certificates
- Assist with inventory
- If you are interested, please contact Ms. Black - email@example.com
- Before volunteering, you must complete the on-line application at www.getinvolvedineducation.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Book Donation Policy
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest in maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection:
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate middle school academic level.