Cambridge Lower Secondary Program
Tequesta Trace Middle School
The focus and the intent of the Cambridge Lower Secondary Program is to encourage students to use problem-solving skills to access and link together knowledge from across all standards. Cambridge academic content is cross-curricular and emphasizes understanding issues through a global perspective. Throughout the progression of the program, students develop and strengthen their reasoning and communication skills. Content is based on Florida Standards with educational enhancements based on the Cambridge Assessment International Education Standards (Cambridge Standards). Implementation of Cambridge Standards assists teachers in delivering innovative, student-centered, inquiry-based learning in a highly collaborative environment that promotes higher level questioning. Performance tasks are imbedded within the curriculum to provide students the opportunity to apply their knowledge when given authentic context. These tasks require much more than just recall and recognition of facts and concepts. Students are required to transfer their learning to new content-rich problems that may include multiple standards within one performance task. Students are given the opportunity – through various resources, performance tasks, and activities – to become confident, responsible, reflective, innovative, and engaged learners.
Cambridge Courses – Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies.
- Inquiry-based learning that encourages students to explore concepts
- Pacing of curriculum is accelerated and flexible
- Less teacher guidance needed to activate prior knowledge
- Student-centered environment with emphasis on self-direction
- Content coverage of state standards with greater depth and higher levels of complexity
- Problem-solving on more complex, open-ended questions