There is no factor more important to successful school progress than regular school attendance. Students are expected to attend school daily and report to all of their classes on time. In order for an absence to be excused, a parent must report the absence by phone, the day before or within 48 hours. Call the Attendance Office at (754) 321-5702 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Per SBBC Policy 5.5, absences will be excused by the school for the following reasons:
- Illness of student. If a doctor states in writing that the student will be absent for fifteen or more days, the Guidance Department should be notified so that homebound instructions can be arranged.
- Illness of an immediate family member.
- Death in the family.
- Religious holidays of the student’s own specific faith.
- Subpoena by a law enforcement agency.
- Family trips or special events if the student gets permission from the school at least five days ahead of time. Such trips refer to exceptional cases of family need, college visitations, or trips of an academic nature.
- Doctor or dental appointment if the student provides a note from the doctor or dentist giving the date and appointment time.
- Students having or suspected of having a communicable disease or infestation that can be transmitted are to be excluded from school and are not allowed to return to school until they no longer present a health hazard (F.S. 1003.22).
Only the parent or the legal guardian who enrolled the student into school has the authority to give permission for that student to sign-in or sign-out of school. For security reasons, McFatter Technical High School policy requires that a parent must accompany their child when they sign in/out of school.
Early release of students causes disruption to the academic performance of all students and may create safety and security problems. Per SBBC Policy 5.5, students shall not be released within the final 30 minutes of the school day unless the principal/ designee determines that it is an emergency, or the student has a medical/dental appointment that cannot be reasonably scheduled at another time.
Report an absence during eLearning
Parents are encouraged to report their child's excused absence. There are two social distancing options to report an absence:
- Submit an online form by clicking on the link REPORT AN ABSENCE ONLINE or in the BCPS Mobile App, or
- Leave a message at the school's attendance hotline (754-321-5702)
When reporting an absence, please include the following information:
- Name of parent reporting absence
- Phone number of parent reporting absence
- Child’s first and last name
- Child’s school ID number or date of birth
- Child's grade level
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
Parents are expected to report absences within two days of the absence. If requested by the school, the parent must provide documentation of an illness from a licensed health care practitioner.
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below:
- Illness of student
- Illness of an immediate family member
- Death in the family
- Religious holiday
- Required court appearance or subpoena
- Special event
- Scheduled medical or dental appointment
- Student has a communicable disease
- eLearning: Technology issue (device or internet)
- eLearning: Username/Password issue
Students on field trips, attending alternative to suspension programs, or in internal suspension programs are not considered absent.
For more information about attendance, policies, or procedures, visit browardschools.com/attendance.