Our Library Media programs at Charles Drew Elementary have much to offer our students to encourage them to become avid readers and lifelong learners of information
Media Center Procedures
- Books are checked out for 1 week.
- Pre-K-Kindergarten: 1 book, 1st/2nd grades: 2 books, 3rd-5th grade 3 books.
- Return books on time. Make sure you return your books in the condition in which you checked them out.
- Students will be fined for LOST or DAMAGED books.
- Use whisper voices.
If you love to read and help children then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas.
- shelve books
- prepare materials
- assist with book fair
- type certificates
- assist with inventory
If you are interested, please contact the Media Specialist. Before volunteering, you must complete the on-line application available here at this link. We look forward to hearing from you!
Book Donation Policy
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest in maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection.
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate elementary school academic level.
All materials MUST be checked out of the media center. All materials may be searched using Destiny or Destiny Quest.
Students: Students may borrow all Fiction/Nonfiction books excluding Professional Collection materials and Periodicals. Reference and Periodicals are limited to in-school use only. Circulation period is for one week. Renewals are permitted on materials that are not on reserve. For students in Kindergarten, 1 book will be checked out. For students in 1st-2nd two books are permitted to check out. Students in 3rd-8th grade are permitted to check out 3 books. Students are expected to pay for damaged or lost books. We encourage all students to visit the Broward County Public Library for a FREE library card and supplemental resources.