At DBHS, everyone is Achieving Excellence Together.
The Communications Magnet Program houses Communications & Broadcast Arts students interested in exploring the communications field. The hands on experience in journalism, graphics, & broadcast arts are designed to expose students to many facets of the communications profession and to promote academic success. To do so, the curriculum aims to:
• Help students achieve success through real-world experiences using real world technology
• Prepare students for the future, allowing them to become independent, life-long learners with multi-dimensional communication skills
• Allow Students to excel in a hands-on approach to education, including the use of technology in the development of interdisciplinary projects.
• Enhance students’ critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies through alternate assessments, including portfolio and project development
The Freshman Academy houses all 9th grade students. The purpose of the academy is to improve the academic achievement of our freshman students by monitoring their grades, credits, attendance, and behavior. To do so, the curriculum aims to:
• Develop the skills necessary to be successful in high school and beyond by providing them with a unique staff that will monitor progress, performance and provide academic support.
• Be provided with an academic advisor to monitor grades, credits, and assessment data.
• Have after school tutoring available to insure that they will grow academically.
• Think critically about lessons that will both challenge and motivate them.
The International Magnet Program (MYP & DP) offers a high-quality and challenging educational program for qualified students. The program is designed to engage students in educational learning that equips them for life in the 21st century. To do so, the curriculum aims to:
• Help students develop the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to participate actively and responsibility in a changing and increasingly global environment.
• Teach Students to become independent learners who can recognize relationships between school subjects and the world outside.
• Encourage students to combine relevant knowledge, experiences, and critical thinking to solve authentic problems.
• Develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
• Encourage students to be active, compassionate and lifelong learners, who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
The Urban Teaching Academy Program is a complete four-year program that thoroughly prepared for the 21st century educational workplace. To do so, the curriculum aims to:
• Field experience and apprenticeship opportunities through community partnerships
• College/university tours to observe the academic and social life of postsecondary education
• Supportive and well-trained personnel that are committed to the vision of training future teachers and managers
• Incorporating technology that drives instruction and promotes obtaining industry certifications
• Preparing students for college by infusing national achievement testing strategies into the curriculum
Eternal Wisdom shall belong
To those whose voices raise this song
True friendships and the ties that bind
Within your reach are there to find
Our loyalty is yours to claim
With pride we proudly sign they name
So far above the ocean's roar
Where wisdom rings and voices soar
The hues of scarlet and of gold
Are bright as loyal hearts unfold
And as we watch the years go by
We'll stand to praise thee Deerfield High!
Bucky T | Home of the Mighty Bucks
It is said Deerfield Beach was chosen as a name because of the numerous deer that grazed along the Hillsboro River. This river formed the northern boundary of Deerfield.
The mission of Deerfield Beach High School is to provide our students the best education in a safe and positive environment, conducive to their social, emotional, and academic growth.
- To emphasize that the students we teach are as important as the subject matter we teach.
- To foster an appreciation for learning as a rewarding, life-long process.
- To establish an atmosphere for learning in a secure and orderly environment.
- To establish a climate in which high performance comes within a framework of high expectations and standards.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop positive self-images and self discipline leading to a respect for the worth and dignity of each other.
- To help students become aware of the need for healthy habits related to personal cleanliness, proper diet, and basic care of body and mind.
- To offer a broad curriculum responding to our student’s needs, abilities, and interest including specific programs for the mentally, physically, and emotionally handicapped as well as the advanced, and basic students.
- To regularly assess the curriculum and teaching methods so that learning activities reflect needed change yet retain those qualities of proven value.
- To incorporate within each area of curriculum and interdisciplinary approach to education.
- To emphasize the learning of skills, which enable students to meet the challenges of a changing technological world.
- To offer students the opportunity to participate in curricular and extracurricular programs that encourages them to broaden their talents.
- To strive to present a better use of languages as an important tool to improve communications.
- To encourage students, parents, staff, and community to live in harmony and to work toward mutual goals.
- To recognize that the community, staff, and student body have a vested interest in the educational process at Deerfield Beach High School and, therefore have a shared responsibility to that process.
Philosophy and Goals
The administration, faculty and staff of Deerfield Beach High School, believe that educating students is teaching students how to learn. In providing students with thinking and learning skills, we enable them to become productive, self-sufficient, and responsible citizens. Deerfield Beach High School is fortunate to have students diverse in ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We believe that composition of our student body provides an excellent resource to teach an appreciation for differences of people within a spirit of cooperation.
We believe that education must address the “whole person”, that the social, intellectual, and physical needs can not be separated. This holistic approach to education results in an integrated curriculum rich knowledge and experiences.