Back To School Newsletter
Back to School Letter
Greetings McNab Students and Families! August 8, 2019
I hope everyone is having an amazing summer with much deserved rest and relaxation!
As we head in to my fourth year leading McNab, I could not be more proud of the entire staff and the professionalism and dedication that characterize our great work. We have accomplished many great things together in a very short time! McNab is once again rated an A+ School and we are very proud of our accomplishments!
Here are just a few of our achievements thus far at McNab Elementary School:
- A successful Digital 5 and Digital 4 program in our 4th and 5th Grade
- 4th and 5th grade Debate +competed as a top performing elementary school and are looking forward this year to continue competing district-wide
- Top accolades in numerous Art competitions
- Top accolades in the Broward Language Competitions
Undoubtedly, we have a very promising future at McNab full of opportunity and challenges as we work together to provide the best possible educational experience for our young students. As we get ready to embark into our next year, Equity and “Choosing Kindness” we will continue to be at the forefront of our mentoring program in everything we do at McNab. These are important, foundational building blocks that shape the young minds that are entrusted to our care and guidance. For me, it is an honor to share this responsibility with each of you and makes me truly excited for the year ahead.
The following are New Safety Procedures that will be enforced for this upcoming school year:
- During the first week of school you will be able to walk your child directly to class on Wednesday, August 14th from 7:30AM-8:15AM ONLY. Any student arriving after 8:15AM will be escorted to class by a McNab Staff Member. No parents will be permitted to walk their child to class after August 16th, 2019.
- GATES WILL OPEN FOR ARRIVAL AT 7:30AM.
- There is no student supervision before 7:30AM. Parents may not drop off prior to this time.
- Car Rider Dismissal – please pull as far as you possibly can so that the entire car loop can be used to accommodate traffic, stay off your cell and stay alert, and have your child enter your vehicle on the passenger side.
- Early Dismissal/Sign-Out – According to School Board Policy, students are not permitted to be picked up 30 minutes prior to the end of the school day. Students will not be dismissed after 1:30PM until the bell rings at 2:00PM. Teachers are conducting final lesson reviews, passing out important papers and giving homework assignments.
- Students participating in our Universal Free Breakfast program may arrive beginning at 7:30AM and walk to the cafeteria via the front entrance.
- Biker/Walker- (West Gate) Students walk up to the school along the designated sidewalk and enter through the front, blue, single point entry gate.
- Bus Rider – students arrive to school on a bus and proceed to breakfast or their designated grade level area through the bus loop gate entry.
- Front Gates will be closed at 8:15AM. If the gate is locked upon arrival, please call the front office to gain entrance at (754-322-7050).
- Upon entry to campus, all visitors must be processed through the STAR System and present a photo ID.
- Students must wear their ID badges at all times when on campus.
- Procedure for Sharing Lunch with Your Child During the School Day will be permitted only on the 1st and 15th of every month. Please register at browardschools.com/getinvolved to enjoy lunch with your child.
- Parents are invited to review the Code of Student Conduct Handbook and complete the required forms by accessing the Back to School Forms link found on the Broward Schools’ webpage at: https://www.browardschools.com/backtoschoolonlineforms
- PLEASE JOIN OUR PTA
- Become an approved volunteer by completing the application at: www.getinvolvedineducation.com/parents.
- GATES WILL OPEN FOR DISMISSAL AT 1:55pm
- ABSOUTELY NO PARENTS PERMITTED IN THE FACULTY PARKING LOT. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
- No one will be permitted to wait in front of the school’s main entrance, parent loop or anywhere along the sidewalk prior to 1:55PM.
- Bus Riders – will be dismissed from their classroom to the bus area.
- Walkers – must exit the front of the school and walk out on the designated side walk.
- After Care –will be dismissed from their classroom to their counselor.
LATE ARRIVAL/EARLY DISMISSAL
STUDENTS WHO ARRIVE AFTER 8:00AM, MUST BE ESCORTED INTO THE SCHOOL AND SIGNED IN BY A PARENT
- A PARENT MUST SIGN OUT THEIR STUDENT WHO REQUIRES AN EARLY DISMISSAL BEFORE 1:30PM (11:30AM ON EARLY RELEASE)
- When visiting - you will be asked to show an official photo identification and given a temporary badge to enter campus.
- Students will be required to wear their ID badges every day (temporary ID badges will distributed until the official IDs are delivered).
- Students will be expected to wear their official uniform to school each and every day.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
August 13th - Open House for Pre K and Kindergarten will take place from 12-1PM
August 13th – Schedule pick up for grades 1-5 from 1:30-2PM
August 16th – Independence Day
August 27th – First School Advisory Council Meeting in the Media Center from 2:15-3:15PM
August 27th – First PTA General Meeting from 5:00-5:30PM
August 27th - Open House for grades 1-5 from 5:45 PM to 6:30PM
Please make every effort to fill out the free and reduced applications on-line as soon as possible. The website is www.applyforlunch.com. If you need any assistance in completing the application, feel free to come to the front office for assistance.
We are ready and I can’t wait to see you all back on August 14, 2019 for another great year at McNab with many new faces including our new Assistant Principal, Mrs. Jennifer McGreevy who will start October 14th, 2019. Mrs. McGreevy joins us with great experience, proven leadership and much excitement to lead McNab Elementary School into the 2019/2020 school year. Prior to Mrs. McGreevy’s arrival we are fortunate to have Mrs. Kim Rohloff serving in the capacity of Acting Assistant Principal. Mrs. Rohloff has been part of my team since the day I started at McNab and she is welcoming the opportunity to work in the administrative capacity this year.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Dorys Palacio, Proud Principal