Back to School Letter
Greetings McNab Students and Families! August 10, 2018
I hope everyone is having an amazing summer with much deserved rest and relaxation!
As we head in to my third year leading McNab, I could not be more proud of the entire staff and the professionalism and dedication that characterize our great work. We have accomplished many great things together in a very short time!
Here are just a few of our achievements thus far at McNab Elementary School:
- A successful Digital 5 program and looking now to expand to a successful Digitial 4 program for the 2018/2019 school year whereby every student in 4th and 5th grade will have a one to one laptop
- 5th grade started and competed as a top performing elementary school in Debate and we are expanding the program to 4th grade for the 2018/2019 school year
- Top accolades in numerous Art competitions
- Top accolades in the Broward Language Competitions
Undoubtedly, we have a very promising future at McNab full of opportunity and challenges as we work together to provide the best possible educational experience for our young students. As we get ready to embark into our next year, Equity and “Choosing Kindness” will be at the forefront of our mentoring program in everything we do at McNab. These are important, foundational building blocks that shape the young minds that are entrusted to our care and guidance. For me, it is an honor to share this responsibility with each of you and makes me truly excited for the year ahead.
The following are New Safety Procedures that will be enforced for this upcoming school year:
- During the first week of school you will be able to walk your child directly to class on Wednesday, August 15th from 7:30AM-8:15AM ONLY. Any student arriving after 8:15AM will be escorted to class by a McNab Staff Member. If your child does not attend school on August 15th, they will walk to class on their own beginning their first day of school. No parents will be permitted to walk their child to class after August 20th, 2018.
- GATES WILL OPEN FOR ARRIVAL AT 7:30AM.
- There is no student supervision before 7:30AM. Parents may not drop off prior to this time.
- Students participating in our Universal Free Breakfast program may arrive beginning at 7:30AM and walk to the cafeteria via the front entrance.
- Biker/Walker- (West Gate) Students walk up to the school along the designated sidewalk and enter through the front, blue, single point entry gate.
- Bus Rider – students arrive to school on a bus and proceed to breakfast or their designated grade level area through the bus loop gate entry.
- Upon entry to campus, all visitors must be processed through the STAR Sytem and present a photo ID.
- Procedure for Sharing Lunch with Your Child During the School Day will be permitted only on the 1st and 15th of every month. Please register at browardschools.com/getinvolved to enjoy lunch with your child.
- GATES WILL OPEN FOR DISMISSAL AT 1:55pm
- ABSOUTELY NO PARENTS PERMITTED IN THE FACULTY PARKING LOT. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
- No one will be permitted to wait in front of the school’s main entrance, parent loop or anywhere along the sidewalk prior to 1:55PM.
- Bus Riders – will be dismissed from their classroom to the bus area.
- Walkers – must exit the front of the school and walk out on the designated side walk.
- After Care –will be dismissed from their classroom to their counselor.
LATE ARRIVAL/EARLY DISMISSAL
- STUDENTS WHO ARRIVE AFTER 8:00AM, MUST BE ESCORTED INTO THE SCHOOL AND SIGNED IN BY A PARENT
- A PARENT MUST SIGN OUT THEIR STUDENT WHO REQUIRES AN EARLY DISMISSAL BEFORE 1:30PM (11:30AM ON EARLY RELEASE)
- When visiting - you will be asked to show an official photo identification and given a temporary badge to enter campus.
- Students will be required to wear their ID badges every day (temporary ID badges will distributed until the official IDs are delivered).
- Students will be expected to wear their official uniform to school each and every day.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
August 14th - Open House for Pre K and Kindergarten will take place from 12-1PM
August 14th – Schedule pick up for grades 1-5 from 1-2PM
August 20th – Independence Day
August 28th – First School Advisory Council Meeting in the Media Center from 2:15-3:15PM
August 28th – First PTA General Meeting beginning at 6PM
September 12th - Open House for grades 1-5 from 5:15PM to 6:30PM
Please make every effort to fill out the free and reduced applications on-line as soon as possible. The website is www.applyforlunch.com. If you need any assistance in completing the application, feel free to come to the front office for assistance.
We are ready and I can’t wait to see you all back on August 15, 2018 for another great year at McNab with many new faces including our new Assistant Principal, Mr. Craig Lehrhaupt. Mr. Lehrhaupt joins us with great experience, proven leadership and much excitement to lead McNab Elementary School into the 2018/2019 school year.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Dorys Palacio, Proud Principal