Return to Headlines

How to Register My Child for School

Age Requirements
Child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2010
First Grade
Child must be 6 years old on or before September 1, 2010 and must have been enrolled in a public school or must have satisfactorily completed kindergarten in a nonpublic school.


How to Register for School

So you want to register your child in our school?  No problem!

First, make sure that we are the correct school.  To find out the school(s) assigned to your home address, you can either use our School Locator feature or call the District's Innovative Programs Department at 754-321-2380. You must provide your specific street address and your child's grade level and the office will determine the correct school your child is supposed to attend.

When you arrive at your child's school to register, please use the following checklist:


(School Board Policy 5.1 amended 8/5/08)
NOTE: Students whose parents are found, after appropriate investigation, to have submitted fraudulent information in an effort to enroll a student in a school to which the student is not assigned shall be immediately withdrawn and referred for enrollment in the appropriate boundaried school.

One current piece of evidence from the following sources in the name of the parent/guardian registering the child:
_____Current telephone or electric bill in the name of the parent registering the child.
_____Rent receipt with the name of lessor and contact information/mortgage statement.
_____Lease agreement with name of lessor and contact information.
_____Mortgage commitment.
_____Home Purchase contract including specified closing date, with copy of deed to be provided within 60days of closing date. AND One of the following:
_____Automobile Insurance.
_____Current Florida Driver’s License/Florida Identification Card.
_____Cellular telephone bill.
_____Credit card statement.
_____Bank account statement.
_____United States Postal Service confirmation of address change request or evidence of correspondence delivered through U.S. Postal Service.
_____Declaration of Domicile form from the County Records Department.

When school is in session and proof of domicile, as stated above, cannot be presented at the time of registration, the student shall be registered in school with the following document: ________A statement of Bona Fide Residence signed by the parent/guardian.  Acceptable proof of residency MUST be provided within 30 school days from the list above.

When parent/guardian resides with someone else who resides in the school’s boundary area, the parent/guardian must submit:
______Notarized Statement of Bona Fide Residence signed by parent/guardian and owner or lessee with whom the parent/guardian is residing.
______Any proof of residency from the first list above in the name of owner or lessee signing the Statement of Bona Fide Residence form.
______Parent must then submit either a FL Driver’s License, FL Identification Card or Voter’s Registration card with their name and the address of the owner or lessee within 30 school days.

_____Official birth certificate.

If such certificate is not available, the following forms of evidence are acceptable:
_____A duly attested transcript of a certificate of a religious document showing date of birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent.
_____Insurance policy on the child’s life which has been in force at least two years.
_____A passport or certificate of arrival in the U.S. showing the age of the child.
_____Official school records that provide evidence that the child has attended school for four years.
_____An affidavit sworn to by the parent, accompanied by a certificate from the county health officer, that he/she believes the child to be of required school age.

_____Students, grades K-12 and entering Florida school for the first time, must present evidence of a medical examination performed within twelve months prior to their initial enrollment or day student  was brought to school to fill out necessary forms for the purpose of becoming a Broward County Public School student.
_____Parents must provide a written notification of any health/medical problem that requires staff awareness and/or supervision for their child.
_____Medical Treatment Form, if needed.

_____Florida Certificate of Immunization (Form HD680)
_____Permanent medical exemption (if immunization if contraindicated for one or all).
_____Religious exemption (Form 681), a temporary exemption (Form DH680 Part B) or a medical exemption (Form DH680, Part C).

If the student is residing with someone other than the parent or legal guardian, the following provisions shall apply:
_____If parent/guardian lives within the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach), the individual registering the child must provide documentation of custody by an appropriate state agency such as the Department of Children and Families or the Court.  In cases of hardship, to be determined by the school, a signed, notarized letter appointing custody will be sufficient.
_____If the parent/guardian lives outside the tri-county area (including outside of the U.S.), a notarized statement from the parent/guardian, identifying the person assuming responsibility for the child must be presented.
_____If a parent/guardian lives within the tri-county area and the student lives in a residence licensed by he   Department of Children and Families, the student may be enrolled in the school that serves that licensed residence.

_____Registration emergency card (NOTE: Only parents/guardians signing registration form can change registration/emergency information).

_____Latest report card and/or transcript needed for appropriate grade placement.


If you have any questions, please call our register during school hours.


Download Adobe Acobat Reader to view or print.