2019-2020 Back to School Letter
Dear Rocket Family,
Welcome back for the 2019-2020 school year! I hope each of you are ready to join us as we launch our learning theme this year which is “Blast Off to Proficiency and Beyond: Achieving Our Vision in 20/20”! We have so much to celebrate this year, which includes serving “Remarkable” scholars and the community of 33311 for 60 years. We will continue to strive to enact our vision and attain an “A+” school rating. Our school has made improvements and we are now a “C”.
Here are a few accomplishments to celebrate and share with you:
- Congratulations to our school team for improvements in Mathematics! Our increase in the percentage of students scoring a level 3, 4 or 5 on the 2019 Florida Standards Assessment of Mathematics places our school at 36 out of 2,088 Florida schools. We rank in the top 2% of all Florida schools for improvements in math.
- Ninety percent of 3rd grade scholars made learning gains on FSA Math.
- Forty-nine percent of 4th grade scholars scored a level 3, 4 or 5 on FSA English Language Arts, which is a 30% increase from 17/18.
- Sixty-one percent of 3rd grade scholars scored a level 3, 4 or 5 on FSA Mathematics, which is a 35% increase from 17/18.
- Eighty percent of 3rd grade scholars made learning gains on FSA English Language Arts, as compared to 57% in 17/18.
- Sixty-eight percent of 4th grade scholars made learning gains on FSA English Language Arts, as compared to 19% in 17/18.
- Forty-five percent of 5th grade scholars made learning gains on FSA English Language Arts, as compared to 40% in 17/18.
- Sixty-seven percent of 3rd grade scholars in the lowest quartile made learning gains on FSA English Language Arts, as compared to 57% in 17/18.
- Eighty-three percent of 4th grade scholars in the lowest quartile made learning gains on FSA English Language Arts, as compared to 18% in 17/18.
- Sixteen percent of4th grade scholars earned a level 1 as compared to 47% of those scholars earning a level 1 on the FSA English Language Arts in 17/18, which is a 31% percentage point decrease.
- The State of Florida recognized our school as a Silver rated PBIS school for our School-Wide Positive Behavior Plan.
- We offer a “Gold-Star” rated YMCA After-School Program. I encourage you to enroll your scholar(s).
- We offer a first-class art, computer science, physical education and social emotional learning lab to our scholars.
- We create a safe and conducive learning environment for our scholars one hundred eighty days of the school year.
I'll be seeking your participation and input in the conversations and actions needed to improve our student achievement and sustain the momentum that we made in 18/19 with building relationships and partnerships.
We pride our school on the connections that we have with our families through our home-school connections. We will continue to host events at our school to invite our families to learn how to help their “Rocket Scholar” at home while we continue the traditions of our beloved Rock Island. A focus on building relationships, having an open door policy and providing each parent with respect will continue to be at the forefront of our vision.
Our leadership team made a spectacular plan for 2019-2020 to be a success, which gave us an opportunity to reflect, plan, focus on the positive, prepare to roll up our sleeves for the work we have ahead of us and begin the work of our Rockets achieving their ultimate level of success. We believe in our school mission and our scholars. Our Rocket family will always strive to develop productive, well-rounded and empathetic citizens for the 21st Century. Our school community will continue to lead our Rockets on a path to success. I hope you join us with the same level of determination to make this upcoming year our best yet. We will “Achieve our Vision in 20/20” as we Blast Off to Proficiency and Beyond!
Yours in Education,
Mrs. Cormic Priester
Proud Principal of Remarkable Rock Island Elementary School
“Blast Off to Proficiency and Beyond: Achieving Our Vision in 20/20!”