Virginia S. Young Elementary Frequently Asked Questions
• Is Virginia Shuman Young Montessori a public school?
Yes, Virginia Shuman Young Montessori is a Broward County Public Magnet School.
• Does VSY offer a Voluntary Pre-K Program (VPK)?
No, our Pre-Kindergarten program is a self-supported fee-paying program.
• How old should a student be to enter the Pre-K Program at Virginia Shuman Young Montessori?
The student has to be 3 or 4 on or before September 1st of the school year for which you
• Is there a cost to attend Virginia Shuman Young Montessori?
The state or federal government does not fund our Pre-K Program. Parents of enrolled Pre-K students will be responsible for school-related fees, such as: $100.00 registration fee and tuition. The registration fee of $100.00 is due in the form of a money order at the time of the registration after receiving an acceptance letter. Monthly tuition is $725.00. There is no charge for K-5 grade students.
• Is a child enrolled in the Pre-K program guaranteed a seat for Kindergarten at Virginia Shuman Young Montessori?
No. Participation in the Pre-K program does not guarantee a seat in the K-5 program. If at the conclusion of the Pre-K Program, you are interested in the K-5th grade Montessori Magnet Program, an application must be submitted to the District during the annual magnet application window in order to be eligible for the lottery selection process.
• Is transportation provided for the students at Virginia Shuman Young Montessori?
Transportation is provided by the Broward County School District for K-5 Magnet students who reside more than 2 (two) miles from the school.
There is NO transportation provided for Pre-K students.
• When should the application be submitted?
The magnet application window opens on December 1, 2020 and closes on February 8, 2021. All applications must be submitted no later than February 8, 2021. Late applications will be processed as received.
• How should the application be submitted?
-For Pre-K, the application can be found in the school’s office or online at
http://vsyschool.com. It will be made available starting on December 1, 2020. It can be emailed, faxed, mailed or hand delivered.
-For the K-5 program, the application can be found at
www.browardschools.com\schoolchoice website or through a link on the
To apply for K-5, it is required that you have a Student Identification Number,
which can be obtained at any Broward County Public School. You must provide an
original birth certificate, a picture ID, and proof of residency in Broward County.
• What is the enrollment based on?
The enrollment at Virginia Shuman Young Montessori is based on a random lottery selection process run by Innovative Programs, which takes place about one month after the closing of the magnet application window. Please refer to Broward School Policy 5004.1 (see attached document).
• How are the results of the random lottery selection process delivered to the applicants?
If you submitted your application by February 8, 2021, notifications will be sent no later than April 1st
. Late applications will be processed after all on-time applications. If your
child is not accepted this year, you must reapply next year.
• What are the school hours at VSY?
Student drop off begins at 9:00 am. The instructional day is from 9:30 -3:30. Before
and after school care is also available for an additional fee.
• Can the school be visited/toured?
As of this time, there are no tours scheduled.
Please visit our school website for additional information.