Summer Reading List
Summer Reading - 2019
6th Grade Summer Reading - Choose one book.
All incoming 6th grade students are required to read one book over the summer.
Regular 6th grade language arts – novel choices:
- Almost Home (Bauer)
- Escaping the Giant Wave (Kehret)
- My Life Among Aliens (Gauthier)
- A Drowned Maiden’s Hair (Schlitz)
- The 39 Clues (series – various authors)
- One Crazy Summer (Williams-Garcia)
- The Pinballs (Byars)
- Hungry Plants (Batten)
- Stand Tall (Bauer)
- My Guy (Weeks)
- Chomp (Hiaasen)
- The Candymakers (Mass)
Advanced/Gifted 6th grade language arts – novel choices:
- Things Hoped For (Clements)
- Esperanza Rising (Munoz-Ryan)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society (Stewart)
- Out of My Mind (Draper)
- The Crossover (Alexander)
- Elephant Run (Smith)
- All incoming 6th grade students are required to read one book over the summer.
- Students may read “up” (a higher level) but not “down” (a lower level).
- Students must complete a project of their choice for the one book.
- Students must turn in their project to their language arts teacher.
- Create a timeline featuring major events in the story. (Minimum of 1 event per chapter, on 8 ½ x 11 in. copy paper)
- Write a condensed, illustrated children’s book version of the novel you read. It should be designed to be read by children in grades 1 or 2. (5 pages minimum, with original illustrations included, typed, 12 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced)
- Write a letter to the author of the novel about your favorite character or event and include why it’s your favorite. (1 pg. typed, 12point Times New Roman, double-spaced)
7th Grade Summer Reading List - 2019 Choose one book.
All students taking regular 7th grade language arts are required to read one book over the summer and take a test on the book.
All students taking advanced/gifted 7th grade language arts are required to read one book over the summer and take a test on the book.
Regular 7th grade novel choices – Choose one book
- Among the Hidden (Haddix)
- Stormbreaker (Horowitz)
- The Red Pony (Steinbeck)
- Dragonwings (Yep)
- Amos Fortune, Free Man (Yates)
Advanced/ Gifted 7th grade novel choices – Choose one book
- Walk Two Moons (Creech)
- A Single Shard (Park)
- Driver’s Ed (Cooney)
- The Boy on the Wooden Box (Leyson)
- Hiroshima (Hersey)
- Stormbreaker (Horowitz)
Requirements for 7th grade language arts students:
- All incoming 7th grade students taking REGULAR and ADVANCED language arts are required to read ONE book over the summer and take a test on the book. Regular students will choose from either the regular book list or the Advanced/Gifted book list. Advanced and Gifted students will choose from the Advanced/Gifted book list.
- All tests will be 50 questions, multiple choice, matching, and true/false. The test will count toward the student’s language arts grade.
- All students should take notes as they read and study these notes prior to the test.
8th Grade Summer Reading
All students taking REGULAR 8th grade language arts are required to read ONE novel over the summer and take a test on that novel. Students may choose the one book from either the regular list or the advanced/gifted list.
All students taking ADVANCED/GIFTED 8th grade language arts are required to read TWO novels over the summer and take a test on each book. Students must choose the two books from the advanced/gifted list.
REGULAR 8th Grade Novel Test Choices: (Regular students choose 1)
- The Skin I’m In (Flake)
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Pearson)
- Define “Normal” (Peters)
- Running Out of Time (Haddix)
- Hoops (Myers)
- Surviving the Applewhites (Tolan)
- One Fat Summer (Lipsyte)
- The Wish (Levine)
ADVANCED/GIFTED 8th Grade Novel Test Choices: (Advanced/Gifted students choose 2)
- Knights of the Hill Country (Tharp)
- If I Should Die Before I Wake (Nolan)
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Speare)
- The House of the Scorpion (Farmer)
- Delirium (Oliver)
- Ship Breaker (Bacigalupi)
- Warriors Don’t Cry (Beals)
- Copper Sun (Draper)
Biology 1 Honors Choice: (Required if taking Biology)
- The Andromeda Strain (Chrichton)
Requirements for 8th grade Language Arts Students:
1. All incoming 8th grade students taking REGULAR language arts will read one book over the summer and take a test on that book. Students may choose from either the regular list or the advanced/gifted list. Regular students may choose to read a 2nd novel and take a test on it for extra credit.
2. All incoming 8th grade students taking ADVANCED/GIFTED language arts will read two books over the summer and take a test on each book. Students must choose from the advanced/gifted list.
3. If a student registered for the Biology 1 Honors class, one of their book choices MUST be The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. The student will receive a grade in the Biology 1 Honors class and the language arts class for this title.
4. Students should take notes on the books as they read and study the notes prior to the test.
5. The summer reading tests will be given by the student’s language arts teacher. The tests will consist of 50 multiple-choice, true/false, and matching questions and will count toward the student’s language arts grade