Update Regarding BCPS Student Transportation & Fleet Services Department’s Continuous Improvement Efforts
February 5, 2019
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) Student Transportation & Fleet Services Department is committed to the safe and timely transportation of approximately 74,000 students daily, traveling close to 16.3 million miles annually.
As part of the District’s strategic focus on continuous improvement, the Student Transportation & Fleet Services Department has worked to enhance safety and drive efficiency. A few highlights include:
- People: BCPS bus operators and bus attendants average over 10 years of transportation experience and all Student Transportation & Fleet Services employees participate in an extensive safety training program.
- Technology: Global Positioning System (GPS) is installed on all school buses and is used to locate school buses, identify driver actions and respond to customer requests with estimated bus arrival information.
- Operations: The Student Transportation & Fleet Services Department also performs regularly scheduled and ongoing vehicle maintenance checks to ensure the District’s fleet of school buses are in the safest operating condition.
In addition, during the 2018/19 school year budget process, the Broward County School Board approved funding for five vehicle maintenance positions. Ongoing continuous improvement efforts of the department, led by transportation management, include the following:
- Filled three of the five vehicle maintenance positions – two positions are pending.
- Significantly decreased the Vehicle Maintenance division’s overtime expenditures by 56%. Staff is projecting a reduction of approximately $200,000 for 2018/19.
- Counseled the Vehicle Maintenance division’s employees on the hardships on using unapproved leave, leading to a 37% increase in attendance.
- Installed on-site propane filling stations for the District’s 225 propane school buses at no cost to the District.
These are just a few examples of some of the continuous improvement efforts across the District as departments strive to reallocate funds back into the classroom.
Learn more about the District’s Student Transportation & Fleet Services Department: https://www.browardschools.com/Domain/12704.
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“Committed to educating all students to reach their highest potential.”
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth-largest school district in the nation and the second-largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has more than 271,500 students and approximately 175,000 adult students in 234 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 88 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population, with students representing 204 different countries and 191 different languages. Connect with BCPS: visit the website at browardschools.com, follow BCPS on Twitter @browardschools and Facebook at facebook.com/browardschools, and download the free BCPS mobile app.