BCPS Students Win Big in National STEM Competition
June 23, 2020
Students from four Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) middle schools earned top honors in a national science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) competition. The competition, eCybermission, is a web-based STEM contest for students. BCPS middle school students took top honors for Florida – sweeping the awards in eighth grade – winning first place, second place and honorable mention.
As part of eCybermission, students are challenged to explore how STEM works in their world while collaborating to solve problems in their community. Teams of three to four students compete virtually in state and regional competitions. State competition winners receive the following awards:
- First-Place State Winners – $1,000 U.S. Series EE Savings Bonds at maturity per student.
- Second-Place State Winners – $500 U.S. Series EE Savings Bonds at maturity per student.
- Honorable Mention Awards – Award certificate.
Sixth Grade Winners – Florida
- 1st Place: Coral Springs Middle School
- Honorable Mention: Falcon Cove Middle School
Seventh Grade Winners – Florida
- 1st Place: Falcon Cove Middle School
- 2nd Place: Seminole Middle School
Eighth Grade Winners – Florida
- 1st Place: Walter C. Young Middle School
- 2nd Place: Walter C. Young Middle School
- Honorable Mention: Walter C. Young Middle School
The first-place teams from Coral Springs Middle and Falcon Cove Middle are also finalists in the regional competition. Regional winners are expected to be announced over the summer.
To learn more about eCybermission, visit ecybermission.com.
ABOUT BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“Committed to educating all students to reach their highest potential.”
Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is the sixth largest school district in the nation and the second largest in the state of Florida. BCPS is Florida’s first fully accredited school system since 1962. BCPS has nearly 270,000 students and approximately 175,000 adult students in 241 schools, centers and technical colleges, and 89 charter schools. BCPS serves a diverse student population, with students representing 204 different countries and 191 different languages. To connect with BCPS, visit browardschools.com, follow us on Twitter @browardschools, on Facebook at facebook.com/browardschools.com and download the free BCPS mobile app.