In October of 2011, we hosted a 50-member accreditation team that brought in educational experts from around the country. The team spent 3 days in Broward completing a comprehensive review of our system, interviewed over 1600 staff members and stakeholders and reviewed hundreds of our documents. The exit report announced another 5 years of accreditation and validated the quality of our school system.
The district-wide accreditation process involves the following:
- a 5 year cycle where we host an external review of our school system
- provide a mid-cycle (2 ½ year) progress report
- conduct an internal review
- complete the cycle by hosting another accreditation visit at the end of 5 years
- after each accreditation visit the visiting team leaves commendations (accomplishments) and required actions for continuous improvement.
The Quality Assurance team reviewed the standard reports and quality assurance findings and highlighted the following strengths for BCPS:
- Established a systemic culture of learning with a relentless focus on student achievement
- Demonstrated leadership practices that honor and exemplify hallmarks of the AdvancED District Accreditation protocol
- Created a district level learning community, sharing important core beliefs and promoting collaboration, innovation, and learning
The Quality Assurance team reviewed the standard reports and quality assurance findings and highlighted the following improvements for BCPS:
- Design and implement a system wide policy and corresponding process to ensure the AdvancED Standards for Quality School are assessed at every school and utilized to verify all schools meet the AdvancED accreditation standards.
- Proactively take aggressive action to showcase and promote Broward’s positive impact on its students. Strategically plan to purposefully bridge the discernible gap between public perception and reality relative to Broward’s performance and impact on the students it serves.
- Institute procedures to fully maximize the positive impact of the site-based approach to school leadership and decision-making.