Report an Absence
To report an excused absence, you can do one of the following:
- Call the school's attendance hotline
- Submit an online form using the school's website under Contact: "Report an Absence"
- Submit a note to the school's Front Office Staff
When reporting an absence, please include ALL of the following information:
- Name of parent reporting absence
- Phone number of parent reporting absence
- Child’s first and last name
- Child’s school ID number or date of birth
- Child's grade level
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
Parents are expected to report absences within two days of the absence. If requested by the school, the parent must provide documentation of an illness from a physician or public health unit.
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below:
- Illness of student
- Illness of an immediate family member
- Death in the family
- Religious holiday
- Required court appearance or subpoena
- Special event (Examples of special events include important public functions, educational enrichment activities, conferences, state/national competitions, college/university tour/visit, and exceptional cases of family need. A school administrator will use professional judgement to determine application of “special event” as an excused absence and indicate the specific number of days granted.)
- Scheduled medical or dental appointment
- Student has a communicable disease
Students on field trips, attending alternative to suspension programs, or in internal suspension programs are not considered absent.
For more information about attendance, policies, or procedures, visit browardschools.com/attendance.