If you love to read and help children, then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas.
- shelve books
- prepare materials
- to assist with the book fair
- type certificates
- assist with inventory
If you are interested, please contact the Media Specialist. Before volunteering, you must complete the online application. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Take good care of our books.
- Return books on time. Books may be checked out for one week and may be renewed two times.
- Two books may be checked out at a time for 2nd to 5th grade. K and 1st may check out one book at a time.
- Use whisper voices.
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest of maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection.
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate elementary school academic level.
Broward County Public Library-AXIS 360Access to these book shelves and resources will go through our Destiny home page. (Our school's library online catalog.) Please make sure you and your students go through our Destiny home page. This will ensure that students are accessing content at the appropriate age levels.Click here to access instructions for student access to BCL Axis360 ebooks.*Student Login:1.Go to the School Destiny Home Page-You can also access Destiny on our website under the departments drop down then click media center.2.Select the AXIS360 link or Broward County Library Databases link on the Destiny home page.When accessing online resources from the Broward County Library, students will be prompted to login for each resource.3.BCL Digital Direct Login: 10-digit student number (0612345689)BCL Digital Direct PIN: Last 4 digits of the 10-digit student number (5689)(If students have a Broward County Public library card, they can also use that to login)
Welcome to the H.B.E. Media Center
Students in kindergarten through fifth grades may check out 1 book at a time.
Destiny Quest Online Catalog and Online Resources
Destiny Quest is the online card catalog for all materials circulating through the media centers in Broward County Public Schools. Included in the union database are over 3,000,000 items located in Broward's elementary, middle, high, center, and technical schools. Destiny Quest may be searched from school and home making resources more readily accessible.
In an effort to ensure quality resources for all Broward County Public School students, the Learning Resources/Instructional Materials Department has purchased annual subscriptions to a variety of online databases for the school year. See the media specialist for a brochure of these resources with web links and passwords.
It is the responsibility of each student to return their own books to the media center on or before the due date. If a book is damaged beyond repair, lost, or not returned, an obligation will be placed on the student's account. Items not returned within 90 days automatically generate an obligation. Obligations can only be cleared by making payment on the Broward estore. Obligations will remain on a student's account until the book has been returned in usable condition or if the obligation has been paid through the estore. Please keep in mind when making payment for an obligation through the estore, the obligation may not clear for 24-48 hours.
Feature Film/AudioVisual Policy
HBE follows the district's Audiovisual Viewing Policy which establishes clear and consistent procedures for the use of audiovisual materials for student instruction and classroom use. Audiovisual materials are those nonprint materials such as videocassettes, CD-Roms, and DVDs that need specific hardware to be played or accessed. HBE currently maintains on file, a list of full-length feature films that classroom teachers plan to show as part of their curriculum. This file is available for parent review. Parents who do not wish for their children to view the film should complete the Parent/Guardian Request For Alternative Assignment form and submit it to their child's teacher. Additional copies are also kept in the binder in the office.
Learning Resources Dept.
Acceptable Use Policy
Upcoming Book Fair information coming soon!
e-textbooks and student resources
Broward County School District has implemented electronic textbooks (e-textbooks) that are now available through the Student Single Sign-On Launch Pad. A full complement of e-textbooks are available for courses with district-wide adoptions in science, world languages, and reading. Publishers have voluntarily offered their available e-textbooks in the curriculum area of social studies. Additional e-textbooks will continue to be added annually. The Launch Pad provides single sign-on access to your BCPS Instructional and Digital Resources available to you. To access student editions of e-textbooks, and other resources simply go to www.Clever.com.
Logging into Single Sign-On Launch Pad:
Student login credentials are: Username: Student ID# (10 digit student number)
Password: Pmm/dd/yyyy (birthdate preceded by a capital 'P')
Parents login with student credentials
Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is an extension of the SSYRA program at our school, students in fourth and fifth grade have an opportunity to participate in Battle of the Books. The battle teams participate in a game show format to earn points. The Battle of the Books takes will take place in May. Times will be posted in the media center the week of the battle. Questions used in the Battle of the Books are based on the Sunshine State books listed below.
Students that would like to participate in the Battle of the Books choose their teams by December and must meet the criteria by the next meeting that will take place in the new year:
At least three Sunshine State books need to be read and the books read must be entered in the Sunshine State binder in the media center.
AR quiz results taken must be 70% or higher.
Students that meet the above criteria will be selected to serve on their chosen team. Teams can consist of 2, 3, or 4 participants.
- Students read a book - Students choose books at their appropriate reading levels and read them at their own pace. Students can use AR BookFinder to find book titles and levels.
- Students take a quiz - Accelerated Reader Enterprise offers more than 140,000 quizzes to help motivate and monitor students' reading performance and vocabulary growth. *AR quizzes can only be taken at school.*
- Students earn points for correct answers - Students get immediate feedback on the results of their quiz. Each book is worth a certain amount of points and based on correct answers students will earn points.
- AR Homeconnect - Parents and students are able to view the books they have read, the percentage they received, and points they have earned at home through AR Home Connect. Parents can request to get email notification when students take a quiz.
Username: Student I.D. (06#)
Password: Students birthday (MMDDYYYY)
- AR Incentives - Coming soon!