A MESSAGE FROM PRINCIPAL FRAZIER TO THE ALL MUSTANG PARENTS:
The involvement of parents and family members in the education of their children both at school and in the home is supported in the research as one of the real keys to achieving success in schools. Parent involvement is used interchangeability with family involvement.
Family involvement is associated with higher levels of student performance, improved behavior, and greater parent and community support for schools. These factors play an especially critical role in the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development of young adolescents. During these critical years, 10 – 15, students are forming the attitudes and values that will shape their adult lives. They make decisions that affect the quality and quantity of their lives.
I have identified seven foundational imperatives for our Silver Trail Middle School’s overall climate that when implemented improves the educational experiences of our middle-grade students:
• Create smaller communities for learning (e.g. teaming concept, grade level centers)
• Offer core high rigor academic programs (e.g. advanced classes and Pre-AP Research Innovative Program for all STMS students)
• Ensure success for all students (e.g. building positive relationships among faculty, staff, parents, and students)
• Empower staff to make decisions about the experiences for middle-grade students (e.g. engaging lessons and performance tasks, content-related field trips, rewarding student success, etc.)
• Hire teachers who are experts at teaching young adolescents (e.g. high-quality, passionate and caring educators)
• Improve academic performance of the school as well as each individual student through fostering the social, physical, and emotional wellbeing of our youngsters
• Engage our parents, families & community members in the education and school experience for our students (e.g. welcoming school climate, PTSA, school volunteers, parent events, etc.)
My hope is you will find Silver Trail Middle School to be a place your children feel connected and comfortable while at the same time receiving a first-rate education. You have my commitment we will strive to ensure each of our students leave our school ready for the content knowledge and independence necessary to be successful in high school.
I invite you to be an active parent here at our school; you make a difference not only for your child but also for all our students. Indeed, we are a family. Thanks for your support.