What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieved positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, and establish and maintain positive relationships and make responsible decisions.
SEL is for Everyone. Becoming socially and emotionally competent is a lifelong process, so promoting this capacity in young people is appropriate at all grade levels, Pre-K-12 and beyond. Social and Emotional Learning helps All students acquire the necessary skills for success in school and throughout their lives.
Importance of Social and Emotional Learning
- Increases academic achievement.
- Increases social-emotional skills.
- Improves attitudes towards self and others.
- Improves positive and social behaviors.
- Decreases behavior problems.
- Decreases emotional stress.
- Improves school climate.
- Increases attendance and graduation rates.
- Improves college and career readiness (problem solving skills, frustration tolerance).