Report an Absence
Excusing an Absence
Each parent* of a child within compulsory attendance age is responsible for their child's school attendance. When a child must be absent, the parent must report the reason for absence to the school's Attendance Manager.
To report the reason for your child's absence, the District offers three options:
Option 1: Online Absence Form
Click on the "Report Absence Online" link at the top of this page to complete the online form.
A copy of the form will go to the school's Attendance Manager and to the custodial parent(s). (Make sure your contact information is up-to-date with the school.)
Option 2: Attendance Hotline
Locate the Attendance Hotline phone number at the top of this page. Call the Attendance Hotline to leave a message that includes the same information listed below for sending a note to school.
Option 3: Note for the Attendance Manager
A written note can be delivered to the Attendance Manager to excuse an absence. Check with the school's main office for delivery information. Include the following information on the note:
1. Student's first and last name
2. Student ID or birth date
3. Grade level (include the teacher's name for elementary students)
4. Date(s) of absence
5. Reason for absence
6. Parent first and last name
7. Parent contact information
* Parent includes either or both parents of a student, any guardian of a student, any person in a parental relationship to a student, or any person exercising supervisory authority over a student in place of a parent.
Approved Reasons for Excused Absences from Policy 5.5 (Attendance)
Parents should report the reason for an absence within two school days. If requested by the school, the parent must provide documentation of an illness from a licensed health care practitioner.
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below:
1. Illness of student (Physical or Mental Health)
2. Illness of an immediate family member
3. Death in the family
4. Religious holiday
5. Required court appearance or subpoena
6. Special event
7. Scheduled medical or dental appointment
8. Student has a communicable disease
Students on field trips, attending alternative to suspension programs, or in internal suspension programs are not considered absent.
For more information about attendance, policies, or procedures, visit browardschools.com/attendance.
Links to the Attendance Policy