If you love to read and help children, then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas.
- shelve books
- prepare materials
- to assist with the book fair
- type certificates
- assist with inventory
If you are interested, please contact the Media Specialist. Before volunteering, you must complete the online application. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Take good care of our books.
- Return books on time. Books may be checked out for one week and maybe renewed two times.
- Two books may be checked out at a time for 2nd to 5th grade. K and 1st may check out one book at a time.
- Use whisper voices.
All materials MUST be checked out of the media center. This practice makes it easier to locate materials when they are needed by teachers and students and helps keep accurate circulation records. All materials may be searched using Destiny or Destiny Quest, VSY's online card catalog. Media Center books are due two weeks from the date of check-out and can be renewed for an additional week. Books part of special programs such as SSYRA is only eligible for one-time renewal. At check out, the book's due date is stamped on a blue card placed in the pocket in the back of the book. Students also receive a bookmark to use and may keep the bookmark or return it with the book. Log into your child's Destiny account to find out what your child has checked out and when the items are due.
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest of maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection.
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate elementary school academic level.