High school students who can't afford to pay test fees may be eligible to take the SAT/ACT for free using fee waivers. Fee waivers can be used for the SAT and SAT Subject Tests and ACT. Students must be in 11th or 12th grade to use an SAT Reasoning Test or ACT fee waiver or 9th to 12th grade to use an SAT Subject Test fee waiver. To be eligible, you must meet at least one of the requirements:
- Enrollment in or eligibility for free or reduced lunch https://www.browardschools.com/applyforlunch
- Annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service
- Enrollment in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g. Federal TRIO programs such as Upward Bound)
- Family receives public assistance
- Lives in federally subsidized public housing, or a foster home, or are homeless
- You are a ward of the state or an orphan
IMPORTANT: To take full advantage of the waiver, you must follow through and test on your registered test date.
WARNING: Fee Waivers are just like gift cards or cash and cannot be replaced if lost.
SAT/ACT Test Fee Waiver Limits per year
- 2 SAT test waivers
- 2 ACT test waivers
College Application Fee Waiver Request Form
Once you have used a fee waiver to register for the SAT, the College Board will post four (4) college application fee waiver request forms to your College Board account in the fall of your senior year. You can view them under “view my scores”.
IMPORTANT: Not all colleges and universities honor requests to waive application fees! Check with individual colleges and universities for their application waiver policies.
Testing Fee Waiver Instructions
- Go to the testing website listed on the waiver
- Register for the test
- Save the username and password you created (create only one account)
- Enter all the waiver letters and numbers into the designated box
- Show up for the test! (If you use a waiver to register, but don't show up for the test, the waiver is still considered used)
How to Use a College Application Fee Waiver Request Form
- Complete and submit your college application.
- Do not pay to apply! On the payment page, select "pay with fee waiver." If this is not an option, "trick" the form and indicated your paying with a check or money order. Doing this will tell the school that they'll be receiving something from you in the mail!
- Fill out and sign your Application Fee Waiver Request Form (you may use either a College Board or ACT application waiver request).
- Mail, upload, or email the completed waiver to the college/university Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Fee waivers allow eligible students to test for free (test registration fee waivers), and apply to college for free (college application fee waiver request forms).