School Information

  • In July of 1923, the School Board awarded a contract for the construction of a new “Colored School” in northwest Fort Lauderdale. Land for the new school was purchased from Fort Lauderdale pioneers Frank and Ivy Stranahan for one dollar. In 1910, the old school was torn down and classes were held at a local meeting hall until the new school opened its doors in 1924. When high school classes were added, the school was the only high school for Black students in the entire county. In 1930, the two-story concrete structure, which had cost $13,954.24 to build, was named Dillard High School and surrounding buildings on the property were named Dillard Elementary School. Dr. James Hardy Dillard was a prominent philanthropist and educator who dedicated his life to improving rural schools for Black student.
     

    Principal

    Mrs. Gretchen Atkins-Brown

     

    Assistant Principal

    Marisa Dukes

     

    Phone Numbers

    754.322.6200  Main
     
    754.322.6202  Attendance
     
    754.322.6240  Fax

     

    School Hours

    8:00 am - 3:00 pm  Class
    7:30 am - 3:00 pm  Office
    2:00 pm - 6:00 pm  Aftercare