Dear Parents and Guardians of Gifted Students;
The application for the Gifted Academy for school year 2017-18 is now live!
GIFTED ACADEMY APPLICATION is a cluster for gifted students grades 3-8. Gifted eligibility must be documented in order for applications to be reviewed.
The program, on the Parkway Middle School of the Arts campus, is centrally located in Lauderhill, Florida. Similar to a magnet program, the gifted cluster offers transportation that is not available for other innovative programs. The Gifted Academy provides specialized instruction for gifted students who require a differentiated program to meet their special needs.
The classes are gifted-only in core content areas; electives are available in Performing Arts, STEM and foreign language for middle school students. Elementary students participate in specialized language and robotics classes. The Gifted Academy educational environment values and enhances the gifted student’s ability, passion, creativity, and task commitment.
Key aspects of Gifted Academy are:
• Gifted-only classes offer intellectual peer groups not always possible in traditional schools
• A model school for differentiated instruction
• Acceleration in reading and math based on ability
• Unique opportunities in an award-winning performing and visual arts program for students in grades 6-8
• District-wide transportation
• Experienced gifted endorsed teachers with continuous staff development support from experts in gifted education
• Expert steering and consultative support from leading authorities in gifted education
• Opportunities to participate in the STEM classes based upon availability in grades 6 through 8
• Specially designed electives for elementary students
• Mock trial and speech and debate for middle school students
• District and state competitions across the curriculum
• Enhanced research and performance opportunities
Gifted Academy will hold an open house along with the Performing Arts Magnet and STEM Magnet programs on January 23rd at 6:30p.m. in the Performing Arts auditorium. A tour of the Gifted Academy classrooms will be held after the presentations. If you have any questions or want to schedule a tour email: Cathy.Keeler@browardschools.com or call 754-322-4064.