Report an absence during eLearning
eLearning Phase 2: Students Learning at School or Home
To Report an Absence: If your child will be absent from school and will not participate in eLearning from home, please use the Online Absence Reporting Form or Attendance Hotline to communicate the absence.
New Attendance Code: To help school staff track which students are learning from home, a new code was created. An "H" in Pinnacle Attendance means the student was present for eLearning at home during their scheduled class time.
Parents are encouraged to report their child's excused absence. There are two social distancing options to report an absence:
- Submit an online form by clicking on the link above or in the BCPS Mobile App (Directory icon), or
- Leave a message at the school's attendance hotline
When reporting an absence, please include the following information:
- Name of parent reporting absence
- Phone number of parent reporting absence
- Child’s first and last name
- Child’s school ID number or date of birth
- Child's grade level
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
Parents are expected to report absences within two days of the absence. If requested by the school, the parent must provide documentation of an illness from a licensed health care practitioner.
Students must be in school unless the absence has been permitted or excused for one of the reasons listed below:
- Illness of student (Physical or Mental Health)
- Illness of an immediate family member
- Death in the family
- Religious holiday
- Required court appearance or subpoena
- Special event
- Scheduled medical or dental appointment
- Student has a communicable disease
- eLearning: Technology issue (device or internet)
- eLearning: Username/Password issue
Students on field trips, attending alternative to suspension programs, or in internal suspension programs are not considered absent.
For more information about attendance, policies, or procedures, visit browardschools.com/attendance.
School Board Policy 5.5: Attendance (revised November 17, 2020)