The Broward County Public School district is a nationally recognized leader in the quality and diversity of education we offer students. Magnet programs offer educational choices in Broward County Public Schools. While similar courses and programs may be available in comprehensive schools, Magnet programs attract students by offering unique opportunities for in-depth experiences and study in specific areas of interest. Each Magnet program emphasizes a specialized theme. Our goal is to create educational interests, celebrate cultural and ethnic diversity, and foster student achievement.
- Expand educational choices for students
- Promote diversity within our schools
- Set high expectations for all students to improve student achievement
- Prepare students for further education and the world of work
- Develop positive school climates with academic emphasis
- Provide real-life and hands-on experiences
- Offer mentorship and internship opportunities
Magnet Programs are open to qualified students throughout the state of Florida. All students entering grades K-12 may apply. Students must be five years old by September 1st to enter kindergarten. All students will demonstrate good conduct. At the secondary level, academic/talent entrance criteria have been established for admission to each Magnet Program as a means of promoting student success. Learn more about the academic requirements for middle and high school students.
The School Board of Broward County is committed to providing settings for education that promote understanding of diversity, tolerance and fair play, so that the positive tenets of a democratic society are reinforced by what students experience in schools. In the Broward County Public Schools, diversity is broadly defined to include students of different genders, of different racial and ethnic backgrounds, of various socioeconomic circumstances, those who speak English as a second language, and those who have exceptional and special needs.
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
The Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Magnet programs at McNicol Middle Magnet, provides students with Hands-on project and problem-based learning activities to increase their knowledge of how to build and grow in the field of science. Questioning the world around them will allow students to develop critical thinking skills necessary to change the world in which we live.
International Affairs and Business (IAB)
The International Affairs and Business (IAB) Program at McNicol Middle Magnet, students learn a foreign language and take business classes to prepare them for work on a global scale. Through language skills and cultural immersion in Spanish students gain real-world experience and make connections beyond the classroom.
Science and Pre-Engineering
The Science and Pre-Engineering Programs at McNicol Middle Magnet provides students with hands-on experience in Robotics, Engineering, and Coding programs. Students test, create and build, and challenge their thinking through project-based learning activities geared to make science relevant to their daily decision making.
- Before completing a magnet application, you will need to ensure that your child has a student identification number with Broward County Public Schools. You may secure the identification number from your child's home boundary school or any public school in Broward County.
- Faxed or incomplete applications will NOT be processed. Only one application per student will be accepted. Applications received or postmarked after February 8, 2021 will be processed at a later date pending space availability.
- Students applying to kindergarten must be five years old by September 1st.
- All Middle School and High School applicants must submit a copy of their most recent report card by mail, fax, or email.
All report cards and FSA test scores can be submitted by mail, fax, or email:
Broward County Public Schools
Office of School Choice
600 SE 3RD Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
The next opportunity to apply for a magnet program will be announced later this year.