Students must have a valid SHS ID to use the Media Center. During the school day students must check-in at the circulation desk and present a school-issued pass to the Media Center Staff. Passes are to have an assignment written out on them (this may include recreational reading).
A valid student ID is required to borrow library materials. Students may check out up to 5 books for a period of two weeks. Items are renewable for an additional two weeks if returned on time for renewal. Students will only be allowed to check out two books per topic. Items placed on reserve do not circulate. Students with overdue materials will have limited borrowing privileges until overdue materials are returned. Students with overdue materials will be prohibited from participating in extracurricular activities. Students are held responsible for the safe return of materials checked out on their ID.
Students needing to use a computer must wear their SHS ID badge. Students and staff using Stranahan’s computers agree to abide by the School Board of Broward County’s Acceptable Use Policy for Internet and Telecommunications Use. Remember that computers are for educational use only.
If you love to read and help children, then volunteering in the Media Center is a wonderful opportunity. We are looking for dedicated individuals to help with the following areas.
- shelve books
- prepare materials
- to assist with the book fair
- type certificates
- assist with inventory
If you are interested, please contact the Media Specialist. Before volunteering, you must complete the online application. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Remember your school identification card! It's your passport to borrow library books.
- Take good care of our books.
- Return books on time. Books may be checked out for one week and may be renewed two times.
- Two books may be checked out at a time for 2nd to 5th grade. K and 1st may check out one book at a time.
- Use whisper voices.
Book Donation Policy
We sincerely welcome gifts and donations in the form of materials or monetary funds. All donations are reviewed according to the collection and development policy and must meet the same criteria as all other items. Books not accepted for the collection will be disposed of in a manner determined by the library. The use and disposal will be at the discretion of the LMS in the interest of maintaining an appropriate and balanced collection.
The donation should meet the following criteria before adding to the collection.
- The offered items are within the scope of the library’s collection and their use falls within the stated library mission.
- The library has enough time and resources to process and maintain the offered items.
- The item does not unnecessarily duplicate materials already held.
- The item’s condition is acceptable.
- The library has space to store the donated items.
- The item is supportive of the school's curriculum or interests of faculty and students and is on an appropriate elementary school academic level.
Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Dragon Heat After School Program
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Monday - Friday