SPANISH HONOR SOCIETY
(Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica)
The Spanish Honor Society is a service-based organization comprised of members who share a love for Spanish. Our goal is to promote and celebrate the Spanish language and richness of Spanish and Latin cultures through interactive projects and activities in school. We also participate in activities created by our Student Government to support our school and local community.
President: Emily Vo Historian: Julia Fendell
Vice President: Hope Pollmann Service Hours Coordinator: Kristen Russo
Secretary: Joelys Perez Social Media Coordinator: Shadman Hossain
Treasurer: Noah Gilman
IMPORTANT CLUB INFORMATION
MEETING DATES: Members will meet once a month for no more than 30 minutes, during which time we will discuss upcoming activities and events. We will meet every 3rd Tuesday through Teams online at 3:30pm. Returning members will receive a text through Remind or will see an announcement on our Instagram or Canvas course if you enrolled last school year. New members will receive information through their Spanish 3, Spanish 4, or Spanish AP courses.
REMINDERS and INFORMATION: Members can stay up-to-date with club activities, events and submission deadlines by…
- checking our Bulletin Board: located in the 600’s hallway, next to room 622
- signing up for Remind messages: Text @SHScshs to 81010
- following our Instagram sites: @Colt_SHS
*Canvas enrollment will be provided upon membership acceptance
PARTICIPATION: All members must earn a certain number of club hours by the end of April. Our newest members who meet the requirements will be officially inducted and our seniors will receive an honor cord to wear at graduation. Members earn these hours by attending meetings and participating in club events and school activities for each year of participation until graduation.
DUES: Members will have the choice to pay $15 dues online (go to CSHS website – Online Payments) or fundraise by selling snacks during the year (although there will be limited spots for fundraising). These funds are used to pay for club t-shirts, club activities/supplies, induction ceremony costs, senior cords, fiestas and donations to worthy causes. E-LEARNING UPDATE: Dues will not be collected at this time.
Members will be provided with a variety of opportunities to participate in club activities and events in order to earn their hours. But they will be expected to meet certain requirements which will be explained at our first meeting in September. Requirements will consist of participation in the following categories…
- Meetings: These are quick get-togethers in order to communicate information.
- Spanish-related activities: These are activities our officers elaborate for members based on interest or member requests (ie. Hispanic Heritage Month activities, Spanish tutoring, Spanish dancing lessons, selling Spanish pastries, local gatherings, trivia activities, scavenger hunts, conversational events, holiday activities)
- CSHS Activities: These are activities our Student Government establishes for all clubs (ie. Thanksgiving baskets, Dance Marathon, Sidewalk painting, Wacky Olympics…)
- Donations: Collection of goods or supplies for local communities or people in need
- Submissions: Students will have opportunities to submit artwork, projects, questions for activities (ie. Hispanic Heritage Month posters, making piñatas, t-shirt designs…)
CRITERIA FOR JOINING
To be eligible to join, students must…
- be currently enrolled in Spanish 3, Spanish Speakers 3, Spanish 4, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, or Dual Enrollment Spanish 1/2
- have attained an A or B average in previous Spanish courses.
- have an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- submit a completed application to Mrs. Martinez-Raposo